Dog chasing! (a few emergency ?)

hcammack

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Vermont
:mad: Today huck (the next door neighbors yellow lab) got out when the hens were free ranging he got one of the maran hens by the tail and pulled allot of feathers but not wounding I checked. I got him down on the ground and pinned him in 30 seconds it must have felt like a freight train hitting that dog at 60+ mph because I decked that dog to the ground. I do not hold his owners too responisble but I do think they should be able to control him (blah blah blah the whole dog speal again) I think that I will take him over here for some overssion training so he won't even look at my chickens it worked on my dog and she even tried to chase huck off but she was in her own electric fence. the chickens were very close to there yard so I believe that it is mostly my responsibility. If it doesn't work I will have to cut back unsupervised free ranging or get a permant fence but my mom wouldn't like that.

Emergency ?
I think the hen may be in shock although she doesn't have any wounds what should I do?
Any other suggestions ?

Thanks sorry for the vent/ emergency/ update post

Henry

Last edited:
Look her over really well for puncture wounds. If you think she's just in shock, I'd put her in a dark, warm place with water, maybe some chopped hardboiled egg, anything like that she'll eat that has extra protein in it. Just let her rest and make sure she's drinking, maybe put a tsp of sugar in her water to do that. I hope she's okay.

Ok I guess I should just make her drink something and then let her sleep in the nest box (her favorite bad habit) for tonight and see how she is in the morning. I was really my fault. I inspected her really closely and she has nothing but a bunch of tail feathers missing. She is my fatty and thats why she couldn't get away. I will try some training on him for a little but I do think his prey drive is pretty large but by the end of it may be he will know that once is alright to test my birds but if you do it again I kill you! I won't hurt him and I will see if his owner will let me barrow him for a while.

Thanks Speckled hen for the good advice.

Henry

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom