Dog Dilemma

Hoosierchickens

Songster
9 Years
Jan 9, 2011
Cloverdale, IN
I'd like everyone's input on how to handle this situation.

My neighbors have a chocolate lab named Kaiser. He's sort of like the rural neighborhood dog and comes to visit and patrols the 20 acres in our area including our 6 acres. We've never had issue with Kaiser and he's almost like one of our family. When he visits we often give him treats. He keeps predators off our land and kills the moles. He's always been dear to my kids and we've become attached to him despite his not being our dogs. We've always gotten along well with Kaiser's owners too. Now that we have chickens, I'm concerned that Kaiser will be a problem. His owners/our neighbors have expressed the same concern. I'm not sure how to handle the situation because I do want my chickens to have supervised free range priveleges. I've considered offering the neighbors the opportunity to bring Kaiser over and train him to leave them alone to reduce the potential threat (although I realize this is no guarantee.) I've also considered working out an agreement with my neighbors on a time frame in the evenings that they would put Kaiser up while our chickens free range a bit. Aside from that, I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any ideas? Keep in mind that I would like to keep my chickens safe and maintain good relations with my neighbors.

Thanks.

This one is tough! The dog thinks your place is his territory and has always been given free reign there. He will most likely be a threat to your chickensl. With that said, it is your property and not his. The Neighbors have been lucky in that they have not had to be responsible for their dog to this point. As I see it, you have theses choices. You can ask the neighbors to keep the dog home, You can train the dog yourself, or you can keep your chickens up.

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan A. Work with the dog at first and see how he responds to the chickens, and if its not going to work go to plan B. A dog that is a neighborhood dog and gets along with everyone is more likely to get along with other animals to. Just don't assume they will until you can derfinetly trust him.

Training the dog is your best option in my opinion because even it they contained him when you chickens were out he might accidently be let out of escape if he is not used to it. Victoria Stilwell has trained dogs very successfully on the program "It's me or the dog". I am not sure if the programs can be found online but it is worth a try.

If you aren't able to find this you could get a training manual. Her training is reward based and very effective.

Good luck and good job thinking ahead on how to protect your flock.

You could get electrified poultry netting, and move their free range area around as needed. That would be a good idea anyway, as Kaiser can't have gotten all the predators.

As an owner of trained bird dogs, I would prefer to bring the dog over and work with the dog myself rather than have a neighbor "train" my dog. Even when out in the field hunting with friends it is counterproductive to have friends giving commands to the dog unless there is a dangerous situation (traffic, swift water). This is assuming the owner has spent a serious amount of time working with his dog.that

In my opinion, a dog that is allowed to roam freely without supervision is a indicator of general lack of training and care on the owners part. What was the neighbors reaction when you talked to him???

This may be a good case for fences making for good neighbors.

Quote:
I agree. I might also make a point of telling the neighbors that any losses attributed to their dog will be their responsibility. Best to get the groundwork laid before there is a problem.

I have a wandering dog who is now grounded with an invisible fence. The neighbors begged me not to contain him because everyone loves him to come visiting, but I couldn't have it anymore. Fortunately, he loves poultry, livestock, pets, and people, so he was never a problem. The problem was that everyone liked to feed him when he stopped by to visit and his waistline was beginning to expand.
roll.png

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom