Dog eating chicken poo?

Eris

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas
My dog has an appetite for chicken poo. I'm not sure why. I have two dogs and I've only noticed one eating it. He doesn't eat dog poo though.

So how unhealthy is it for a dog to eat chicken poo?

extra info: my chickens are only about 2 months old, and never been dewormed. My dogs are wormed monthly. The chickens free range in the same area as the dogs. The poo eater is actually the dog we are hoping will be a guardian dog one day.

We have the same issue too! I spend all this money and effort of a healthy, grain free diet for them, yet they eat chicken poop and food every chance they get. They must be eating as much corn and soybeans as they would be eating a Purina or some other low-end food!
th.gif
I also worry about worms. The chickens have never been wormed. However the dogs do have a wormer in their HW pill that they get every 45 days during HW season (6 months here). I am going to switch them to plain Ivermectin when we run out though, they really don't need the extra chemicals. It also makes their breath smell like sewage. It is a disgusting habit for sure, but I just don't know how to get them to stop. Very frustrating!

My dog follows them with his nose in there butt so he gets them hot and fresh
sickbyc.gif

I just worm my chickens at the same time I do my dogs. On the pack it says worm all pets in your household at the same time so that's what I do (the bunny and aviary birds get wormed too)

Oh, and the chickens will eat the dog poop, too... mine wait until it dries... they like it "aged". Only one of my three dogs eats the chickens poop, but she seems to be doing that a little less often... she is the youngest of my dogs. Maybe as they get older they lose their appetite for it??

serves me right for opening a thread titled Dog eating chicken poo? while i am eating dinner..
sickbyc.gif

Don't forget the cow pies!
lau.gif

According to all the books I've read, dogs eat poop because they feel like they need more protein. My personal opinion is that they eat it because they like it....
sickbyc.gif
Both of our dogs eat chicken poop; the puppy eats cow poop, and the older dog eats cat poop. I'm just glad I'm not a dog...

Back
Top Bottom