Dog eating chicken poo?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Eris, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Eris

Eris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    El Paso, Texas
    My dog has an appetite for chicken poo. I'm not sure why. I have two dogs and I've only noticed one eating it. He doesn't eat dog poo though.

So how unhealthy is it for a dog to eat chicken poo?

extra info: my chickens are only about 2 months old, and never been dewormed. My dogs are wormed monthly. The chickens free range in the same area as the dogs. The poo eater is actually the dog we are hoping will be a guardian dog one day.

2. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    We have the same issue too! I spend all this money and effort of a healthy, grain free diet for them, yet they eat chicken poop and food every chance they get. They must be eating as much corn and soybeans as they would be eating a Purina or some other low-end food! [​IMG] I also worry about worms. The chickens have never been wormed. However the dogs do have a wormer in their HW pill that they get every 45 days during HW season (6 months here). I am going to switch them to plain Ivermectin when we run out though, they really don't need the extra chemicals. It also makes their breath smell like sewage. It is a disgusting habit for sure, but I just don't know how to get them to stop. Very frustrating!

3. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    My dog follows them with his nose in there butt so he gets them hot and fresh [​IMG]

I just worm my chickens at the same time I do my dogs. On the pack it says worm all pets in your household at the same time so that's what I do (the bunny and aviary birds get wormed too)

4. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Oh, and the chickens will eat the dog poop, too... mine wait until it dries... they like it "aged". Only one of my three dogs eats the chickens poop, but she seems to be doing that a little less often... she is the youngest of my dogs. Maybe as they get older they lose their appetite for it??

5. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    serves me right for opening a thread titled Dog eating chicken poo? while i am eating dinner.. [​IMG]

6. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    [​IMG]

7. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Chicken, duck, goat, deer, donkey, cat....my dogs think the barnyard is a great big buffet just for them! [​IMG]

8. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Chicken poop and kitty crunchies around here. Mmm, mmm, good. [​IMG]

9. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Don't forget the cow pies! [​IMG]

According to all the books I've read, dogs eat poop because they feel like they need more protein. My personal opinion is that they eat it because they like it.... [​IMG] Both of our dogs eat chicken poop; the puppy eats cow poop, and the older dog eats cat poop. I'm just glad I'm not a dog...

10. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    My dogs follow the sheep around getting factory-fresh. Yuck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by