Dog Food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Branderella, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Branderella

Branderella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Can I feed my flock Science Diet Dog food? It is grain and rice and buffalo meet. I just want to feed them a little for a bit of protein. Is it alright?

2. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Personally, I would prefer to feed them their chicken feed for what it would cost lb for lb for the Science Diet Dog food...that way I know they are getting what they need. I add treats such as greens from the garden or weeds/grass that i have weeded from the flower or veggie beds plus fresh peas, beet greens, BOSS, yogurt frozen with overripe bananas, etc.

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    it shouldn't be a problem, i have fed mine dog food in a pinch when i run out of feed- about the only thing not to feed them is raw potato skins- as a treat mine like canned dog food- what do you usually feed them?

4. mkearsley

mkearsley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    South-west Idaho
    My birds will clean up after the dogs (if there's anything left) before the dogs go out in the morning. They also LOVED the over-ripe strawberries I tossed into the compost pile. They looked like they'd been attacked cuz of the red juice all over their faces [​IMG] Although, I'd have to agree with BooBoo's Mama & feed them chicken food. I buy the higher protein (20%), but I'm still new, so.....

5. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I feed mine dog or cat food in the winter to add some extra calories when its really cold. They don't get it in the warmer months.

6. Branderella

Branderella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    I always feed them layer pellets, but my pup is allergic to the food we have so I didnt want it to be thrown away. I think I will keep it til winter to add to their food!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by