Dog Frontline for Cats?

Quote:
I'm certainly believe in better safe than sorry, but can you tell me why a carefully measured dose would be fatal, even though the active ingredients are the same?

Quote:
I'm certainly believe in better safe than sorry, but can you tell me why a carefully measured dose would be fatal, even though the active ingredients are the same?

1) Because the carrying agent can be different. Frontline is not regulated by the USDA or the FDA, but the EPA. It is (unlike other topicals) an insecticide and regulated as such. Ergo, the dog product has a different percentage of active ingredient, says nothing about the inactive ingredients, which the cats are also sensitive to.

2) It is unlikely to be fatal to the cat if you use a small enough dose. But is "not fatal" a particularly good threshold for the cat? Doing this can lead to seizures, vomiting and diarrhea most commonly. That can lead to death.

Come on, a box isn't THAT expensive, it expires NEVER, and you can use it next spring! Your cat is worth it!

This can often work for many people and their animals, and if you want to take the risk then so be it, but I also work at a vet and even though I've only seen 1-2 cases of Frontline toxicity it is nearly always deadly or incredibly expensive to fix. One cat was in intensive supportive care at an Emergency Clinic for at least two days, experiencing seizures, vomiting and signs of further neurological damage. The owners of that cat were sure sad that they were presented with that vet bill, when they could have bought a case of feline frontline, which by the way is running a deal right now, if you buy 3 you get 1 for free, and if you buy 6 you get 2 for free. Most animal hospitals also let you buy them individually if you couldn't afford a box all at once, though obviously buying in bulk is a better deal. Please just consider the pain that could be inflicted on your cat if something were to go wrong, or if it were to react badly.

Edited to clarify that the owners had used large breed canine frontline on their cat, but in a "smaller" dose.

Last edited:
I forget now the outcome, but I know someone who used it on their cat. I don't recall now if the cat just got incredibly sick, or died. Personally, I would not do it.

Quote:
Actually, Frontline is not sold by vets anymore because there were too many diversion issues. Its available a feed stores, Costco, Petsmart, online etc.

And as amity3520 points out, the bill for a sick cat will be a lot more than a box of cat frontline.

So why don't someone get the inactive ingredients from frontline and check? And my box of large dog frontline plus has an expiration on it.

Actually, Frontline is not sold by vets anymore because there were too many diversion issues.

That's not true. All the vets here sell it.

Frontline doesn't have an expiration date.

That's not true either, any box I have has an expiration.

but I also work at a vet and even though I've only seen 1-2 cases of Frontline toxicity it is nearly always deadly or incredibly expensive to fix. One cat was in intensive supportive care at an Emergency Clinic for at least two days, experiencing seizures, vomiting and signs of further neurological damage.

It was probably Advantage Multi or knock-off Frontline. I have seen the same from those, but never anything from actual Frontline.​

there are ALOT of sellers selling expired and knock off frontline online and in stores, frontline DOES expire as does frontline plus!

frontline should still be available through any vet...
and our shelters do this at .5ml for cats.

personally i dont use frontline (or frontline plus) because the fleas and ticks in our area seem to be resistant.
i use k9 advantix for the dogs...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom