"Dog Gone" Coop

We live in southern Alabama and get a rare snow. When we do I hope my peeps will be ok. Hopefully by then I will be able to have built a real coop. DH has said he isn't going to help me any more with "those chickens." Whenever I ask for help though there he is. LOL. He is always out there looking and checking on them. I just smile to myself and don't say anything.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.
love.gif

Sounds like with your climate you may not even really need a full blown coop- so long as they have cover from wind and rain.. and the ocassional snow, I bet they'll be fine. The turkey barns I've seen (that house like 10,000 at a time) are all open- just a roof with wire sides with tarps that can be draped down over the sides if they need them. And apparently, they do just fine like that. There is a home down the road and they have a shed with a very large open door- it's never shut, not even in the winter for their turkeys and chickens. We live in a MUCH colder climate than you do. The dog panels look very secure- and that is going to save you a lot of worry.
smile.png

Do you have coons there? my only concern would be adding hardware clothing to the upper walls where you have the dogloo's elevated.. since coons can reach and grab... otherwise i like it
thumbsup.gif
: We have an old dog run where the ducks pool goes and we pen them in times when we don't want the loose, there definitely useful.

Last edited:
Quote:
We live in southern Alabama and get a rare snow. When we do I hope my peeps will be ok. Hopefully by then I will be able to have built a real coop. DH has said he isn't going to help me any more with "those chickens." Whenever I ask for help though there he is. LOL. He is always out there looking and checking on them. I just smile to myself and don't say anything.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.
love.gif

That's funny! I do find my hubby watching the chicks too. Right now he is building a coop for us, but he did volunteer for it!
ya.gif

Quote:
I'm so glad to see people using the dog houses for coops. My son is building some pens to breed bantams and this is what I had in mind for their roosts. We have 2 extra large dog houses and I thought it would work fine for 4 bantams to roost in!

Back
Top Bottom