Dog Got our Chickens Neck

kyle1424

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
We have a 6month old Rock Barred Chicken, our 5month old Mastiff X pup got in with our ducks and chicks and got ahold of "mable" she ripped off the back half of her neck right now do the muscle and the back is fully exposed, we have been keeping it covered to keep the flys off it and she is acting 100% normal, still comes out to great us, eats, drink etc.

is there anything we can do to futher help, will this injury heal? picture posted below.

104136_mable.jpg

Quote:
The most important is keeping the flies off or you'll have maggots. Use some fly ointment from feed store they know what to give you, and keep it clean, there are productas that you can spray on it to help healing, one is Vetericyn and or Blue- kote. Chickens are very good at over coming some pretty bad wounds so she has a great chance of recovering. and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
thank you! we have blue lotion we use on our horse wounds is it the same thing or is there one the is specific for chickens? I wasnt sure what to use on a chicken or on a wound that bad. we are definatly keeping it clean...i just felt kinda silly calling a vet about a chicken, when i called them over my Goats they seemed confused lol

Quote:
It's probably close to the same. and I know most vets unless the do farm animals haven't a clue. I think your doing all you can for her, but I wouldn't put her with the rest of the flock till she is healing over and no raw places left. The flock can do more damage.

Poor chicken! We had the EXACT thing happen to one of our backyard girls, only twice as big. We thought she was going to die, it looked so horrible. She, like your chicken acted totally normal! We did literally nothing for it. We have 8 chickens in total and they are a kind bunch, so they left her alone. Within a week she had formed a good scab and my biggest worry was infection, but that didn't happen. It happened about 2 months ago and it has almost completely grown back with feathers. The feather formations looks a little different and there is about a thumbnail sized piece of scar tissue there but that's about it! I hope you have the same luck we did!
smile.png

oh thats so good to hear! we felt so bad for Mable, we only have 2chickens and 2ducks and they are social and sweet to! I hope Mable makes it out like your chicken, ill feel so Bad for Ester if her sister dies
sad.png

i had one that was a lot worse i allmost culled her , but she was acting so good i decided to try and see if she would heal she didnt act like it hurt at all so i sprayed with blue coat, and used antibiotic cream, she is well now and back with the others just a little bald , she will most probably be fine

Back
Top Bottom