Dog / Human Conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I'm starting to wonder if maybe it might be less expensive for you in the long run to just add another dog. An enormous LGD might be more of a deterant, and based on your future plans, you may need another anyway.
Sorry if I missed it before, what breeds do you currently have?
An LGD has been considered. A single LGD would not fair well against a pack. Getting an LGD in addition could be done, but I just do not have the setup needed to justify a dedicated guardian. With current neighbors, they probably consider such a big dog a threat like me packing a rifle.

I have had neighbors cutting hay cut or even roll up my fencing so they could come over and cut hay off me without my permission.
Woooow that’s just over the top bad behavior. I’m grew up in a city (in a rural state to be fair), and even I know not to pull this BS when it comes to dogs bothering livestock and respecting property rights. Had someone near me have to kill 3 dogs that nearly killed their alpacas, and everyone backed them up as that being the right (although sad) decision. Can’t comprehend how thick headed your neighbors are! Before reading through this I would’ve thought residents of Idaho and Missouri would have similar mindsets on this kind of thing. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Woooow that’s just over the top bad behavior. I’m grew up in a city (in a rural state to be fair), and even I know not to pull this BS when it comes to dogs bothering livestock and respecting property rights. Had someone near me have to kill 3 dogs that nearly killed their alpacas, and everyone backed them up as that being the right (although sad) decision. Can’t comprehend how thick headed your neighbors are! Before reading through this I would’ve thought residents of Idaho and Missouri would have similar mindsets on this kind of thing. 🤷🏼‍♀️
There is a lot of variation between individuals on this, even in a state like Missouri. Most, but not all my neighbors have similar views to mine. On the contrary, my mother and brother are more concerned about me kicking open a hornets nest that I cannot handle. My mom is also a turn the other chick sort while my brother is all all about shoot-shovel-shutup. I've killed a lot less dogs than my brother and on the whole have better relations with people owning dogs. I just have to deal with rough spots now and then which this is one.

Trying? or not trying hard enough? They need an electronic fence to keep them within range of their houses.... period.
You go tell them to spend more money on fencing. You are wasting your breath and my time on me. Cost effective measures taking into account acreage and pasture management approach is overriding concern for me. Hotwire alone will not do it.

Dogs came in, same two that really go after livestock. The walked in along barnyard perimeter fence too close for camera to see. Camera lowered by two feet. Honey by herself could not push them out so I helped by walking with her shining light on the dogs as they moved back to their yard. I shined neighbors house which got frmale’s attention. She came out and I calmly said they are trying to get at my animals (goats) again. She said nothing as she grappled with huskie. The male then came out and got the larger dog. It appears to be named Calliope. Neither party acknowledged me. I told Flo and Honey good job.

Now we up the stakes. Next time I go out only in my underwear. That will give them a reason to call the cops!

Hope I don't derail your thread but I had a similar situation a couple weeks ago. There was a coyote-looking dog hanging around the outskirts of my place. My chickens are "up" as you might say so dog couldn't get to them. I walked onto my back porch with said dog eating some scraps i was gonna pitch and ran into it a couple other times then I saw it slinking away from my chicken area.

I immediately went out there and my rooster (who's in his own enclosure) was bleeding badly from a busted beak & comb. There was a path worn down around rooster's pen where dog had been circling and scared him into the wire.

I got the dogs attention and it was apparently friendly (and very hungry) so I walked over with the dog to a neighbor that I'm familiar with. I asked if it was his dog. Yeah that's mine. I asked him if he minded keeping it up and explained the situation to him. I told him I almost shot it b/c it was trying to get to the chickens. His response: "Well it's not actually MY dog, someone who lives here...yeah go ahead and shoot it if goes after them again.":thI told him I didn't really wanna do that and that's why I came over (blank stare)...Well, I haven't seen the dog again so I don't know if they put it up or just killed it but it hasn't bothered the chickens any more.

Hopefully you can get this all straightened out sooner rather than later @centrarchid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom