Dog is back again

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry, where are you?
Shoot, Shovel, Shut Up.

That's what I did with my neighbor's tom cat when he didn't do anything to stop him from coming over.

I've had neighbors' dogs wander into my yard before, with chickens a mere 10 inches from them. Thankfully, those dogs are all super well trained and just want snuggles, not chickens.
did your neighbours Tom cat kill a chicken of yours?

Legally, we are allowed to protect our chickens. So I can call shoot the dog, then call animal control and report it, and be following the law. I would just rather avoid that, as we have to live here and we live across from this person.

The HOA community has no rules about dog containment, nor does the county. So I go through the Animal Control, which is working with me.

There's a proper, simple and perfectly respectable way to handle this ...
It sounds as if the HOA rules somehow missed the animal control boat. As a homeowner affected by this issue, you are within your rights to ask them to address it, to clear the air, now, and to prevent problems going forward. Clearly and civilly state the need for rules so that all parties - dog owners and their pets' victims - know the rules designed to keep them safe and "happy." That is, after all, why HOAs were created in the first place.

Do a little homework on how other HOAs have handled the problem, and start writing letters. You don't even have to mention names. Just explain the scenario, your concerns about future safety of both your pets and those of others (adding the concern for children!) Have a few other homeowners write letters, too - several letters are much more effective than one letter bearing many signatures - and send them, individually, to the HOA board. Then, make sure you and other supporters are at the meeting when the proposal is on the agenda.

When writing and representing, always remember that this is a CIVIL matter. If the HOA president gets nasty in front of everyone over this, he's the one it will likely fall flat on, not those of you who are concerned about the safety of your children and pets. Remind everyone that one of the reasons you joined this planned community was that it provided for the safety and happiness of ALL its' residents ... even the littlest ones without voices of their own.

You can do this!

There's a proper, simple and perfectly respectable way to handle this ...
It sounds as if the HOA rules somehow missed the animal control boat. As a homeowner affected by this issue, you are within your rights to ask them to address it, to clear the air, now, and to prevent problems going forward. Clearly and civilly state the need for rules so that all parties - dog owners and their pets' victims - know the rules designed to keep them safe and "happy." That is, after all, why HOAs were created in the first place.

Do a little homework on how other HOAs have handled the problem, and start writing letters. You don't even have to mention names. Just explain the scenario, your concerns about future safety of both your pets and those of others (adding the concern for children!) Have a few other homeowners write letters, too - several letters are much more effective than one letter bearing many signatures - and send them, individually, to the HOA board. Then, make sure you and other supporters are at the meeting when the proposal is on the agenda.

When writing and representing, always remember that this is a CIVIL matter. If the HOA president gets nasty in front of everyone over this, he's the one it will likely fall flat on, not those of you who are concerned about the safety of your children and pets. Remind everyone that one of the reasons you joined this planned community was that it provided for the safety and happiness of ALL its' residents ... even the littlest ones without voices of their own.

You can do this!

Best idea yet! How do you get items on the agenda? If he's the president, then he surely can't be the secretary or the clerk or the chairman of the board...

Not really: You may legally be allowed to shoot a dog on your property that is killing livestock, but you may not be allowed to discharge a firearm in the area. Catch 22 situation.
As dog-lovers here are strictly against »forgetting chocolate« outside, what about dog-repellent sprays?

Shooting is allowed here. We hear gunshots all the time, and I know some people kill possum and fox that attack their chickens or other pets.

The animal control officer called me this afternoon and said they had called and spoken with the dog owner. They laid out my rights to shoot the dog, and also told the guy that he had advised me to do so. So now hopefully he will keep his dog contained. He was in his front yard when I drove by a while ago, and he glared at me.

I seriously can't wait to move out of here. Hubby and I sat down and looked at finances last night and figured it would be about two years before we sell the house and make enough of a profit to put a down payment on another house.

Shooting is allowed here. We hear gunshots all the time, and I know some people kill possum and fox that attack their chickens or other pets.

Hmm. Maybe you could shoot it and say you mistook it for a bear or something. Sorry, this is probably not helpful. You really are between a rock and a hard place! :hugs

The animal control officer called me this afternoon and said they had called and spoken with the dog owner. They laid out my rights to shoot the dog, and also told the guy that he had advised me to do so. So now hopefully he will keep his dog contained. He was in his front yard when I drove by a while ago, and he glared at me.

I seriously can't wait to move out of here. Hubby and I sat down and looked at finances last night and figured it would be about two years before we sell the house and make enough of a profit to put a down payment on another house.
Let him glare ... and start seriously stashing away that egg money! Happy House Hunting!

Glad the AC was assisting and took the role of providing direct information. Bad neighbors are the pits!

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom