Dog is back again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Mar 30, 2018
The neighbor's dog came back again today. I had posted about a month ago that he broke into our run and killed one of our chickens. We reinforced the run, and this time he wasn't able to break in, but he kept throwing himself against the run, then the coop. We found out we can't put up an electric fence, per the HOA.

The neighbors were snarky about it this time. He is kept behind a wireless fence, but apparently chicken is worth getting shocked.
We called animal control to ask what could be done since the neighbors were not cooperative. They said legally we can kill the dog if it is even attempting to get into the pen, but I would hate to go that far. However, he is going to keep coming back. We are not going to always be home, and even if we are, this is a 100 plus pound black lab/pitbull mix. My husband doesn't want me attempting to chase him off if he isn't there, in case the dog becomes aggressive.

Ugh. I am not really asking for advice, but just venting!

The neighbor's dog came back again today. I had posted about a month ago that he broke into our run and killed one of our chickens. We reinforced the run, and this time he wasn't able to break in, but he kept throwing himself against the run, then the coop. We found out we can't put up an electric fence, per the HOA.

The neighbors were snarky about it this time. He is kept behind a wireless fence, but apparently chicken is worth getting shocked.
We called animal control to ask what could be done since the neighbors were not cooperative. They said legally we can kill the dog if it is even attempting to get into the pen, but I would hate to go that far. However, he is going to keep coming back. We are not going to always be home, and even if we are, this is a 100 plus pound black lab/pitbull mix. My husband doesn't want me attempting to chase him off if he isn't there, in case the dog becomes aggressive.

Ugh. I am not really asking for advice, but just venting!
Neighborhood dogs are the worst . I keep my animals on my land but no one else has the courtesy to keep their dogs up knowing neighbors have chickens. It's frustrating and I've dealt with it .

That is really frustrating! Sorry you are having to deal with this. Can animal control come get the dog if he is in your yard?

Animal control said they could come out, but that most likely by the time they got there, the dog would have broken in and killed the chickens. They were very nice and one of the officers even came out to check out my coop and run and said it was done well, but that a large dog would be able to break through almost anything if they are determined. He said he answered a call not too long ago where a dog had jumped onto the top of a coop and ripped off the roof, and another where a dog chewed through the coop before he could get out there.

you can always get a bigger live trap and trap it and take it to animal control, I know how frustrating this is had a neighbors pit mix kill my only broody that successfully hatched last year.

Animal control will usually loan you one with a deposit but likc Cal ranch here sells em in a set for about 70 for a big one and a smaller one

Last edited:
Can animal control come get the dog if he is in your yard?
That's a good thought...since the owner would have to pay to get the dog back. Maybe hitting them in the wallet would spark them to do something.

If I was in the OP's situation with not being able to put up an electric fence and knowing the neighbors aren't going to control their dog, I would shoot the darn thing. I have a zero tolerance policy for neighbor's BS.

Shoot, Shovel, Shut Up.

That's what I did with my neighbor's tom cat when he didn't do anything to stop him from coming over.

I've had neighbors' dogs wander into my yard before, with chickens a mere 10 inches from them. Thankfully, those dogs are all super well trained and just want snuggles, not chickens.

Sooooooooooo... don't shoot the dog. The fallout with the neighbors could literally be deadly (people are nuts).

If I were in your shoes, I would set a trap (but I'm also nuts). I'd lock up all my chickens except one brave soul who would give her life for the better of the flock- and leave a small area open in the fence faced inward- so when the dog pushed in, he'd have a serious issue getting out. Then he will be trapped in your Pen- after killing your chicken, and when you call animal control they will come take care of him.

That's obviously a bit over the top- but I've dealt with worse and come out ahead. Your neighbors laughing at their aggressive dog is enough for me to set the trap though. That dog's next victim may be the 4-year old girl down the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom