Dog is back again

Status
Not open for further replies.
The neighbor's dog came back again today. I had posted about a month ago that he broke into our run and killed one of our chickens. We reinforced the run, and this time he wasn't able to break in, but he kept throwing himself against the run, then the coop. We found out we can't put up an electric fence, per the HOA.

The neighbors were snarky about it this time. He is kept behind a wireless fence, but apparently chicken is worth getting shocked.
We called animal control to ask what could be done since the neighbors were not cooperative. They said legally we can kill the dog if it is even attempting to get into the pen, but I would hate to go that far. However, he is going to keep coming back. We are not going to always be home, and even if we are, this is a 100 plus pound black lab/pitbull mix. My husband doesn't want me attempting to chase him off if he isn't there, in case the dog becomes aggressive.

Ugh. I am not really asking for advice, but just venting!
You could try some ground cayenne, (or hottest you can find), pepper traps. A little hinged lid box or can. The lid needs to be heavy enough that the chickens can't lift, but have a lip so the dog can nose it up. Rub some liver treats or something he can smell and root in after. The pepper will draw moisture and you'll have to replace it occasionally. You can put some rice in a cloth of paper bag on the bottom of the "trap", shape a cup in it and put the pepper on top, it will keep it "sniffable" longer. Put a few along the base of the run, the rout he comes in. Picture the bird house you made in 6th grade, without the hole.

I worry about large dogs at the coop too, and have hardware cloth stapled, then 2"x4" woven wire over the lower 4', all with fence staples, and then wood strips screwed into the framing. IMG_0222.JPG IMG_0223.JPG IMG_0224.JPG Also a concrete foundation, and doors with locks. Safe from dogs, and no bears here yet.
My current dogs are well fenced, but disasters do happen, and I'm responsible for their behavior! I totally don't understand people like your neighbors! Consider renting or buying a huge live trap and sending this dog off to Animal Control. Could you trap him in your run or coop, without any live birds present, and have AC get him?
Good luck,
Mary

yes they do, they've got ones big enough for a wolf, just bate it outside of the penned up area, that way ya shouldn't have to sacfrice another hen, warning you may want to get a closed trap or make one for skunks too otherwise it's shoot the dog, you can also file a police report about it and then take them to court for cost of replacing the chickens as they are responsible for their god running
Shoot, Shovel, Shut Up.

That's what I did with my neighbor's tom cat when he didn't do anything to stop him from coming over.

I've had neighbors' dogs wander into my yard before, with chickens a mere 10 inches from them. Thankfully, those dogs are all super well trained and just want snuggles, not chickens.

I don't think we could get away with that. Our community has 6 acre plots, but the houses are close enough that you hear any loud noise, like a gunshot. Not to mention the neighbor would be very suspicious of us if their dog disappeared. If it came to shooting the dog, which I would do in a heartbeat if it was threatening my children, I think reporting it would be best as it is legal.

Ugh. I feel your pain. I had issues with my neighbor's dumb dog last summer. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge animal lover, but this dog is a complete jerk. It comes onto MY property, acts all aggressive and growls at everyone in my family. The neighbor watches it all with a smirk on her face saying in her silly mommy voice "Oh Rex, don't scare the neighbor." So irritating. It's been about a year since the dog really caused some problems (running around the run scaring the chickens), so I think he's really lost interest in them. Still barks at me every time I'm outside though. People need to keep their animals on their own property.

Our thoughts, too.
We do our best and if they do get out and kill, well... I'm not saving them.

Yep, my husband and I were both raised the same way. As a kid, one of our dogs (that was not the slightest bit aggressive), teamed up with another dog and was chasing cows in the neighbor's pasture. The neighbor called my dad, and he told them they could shoot the dog if they had to.

We have a dog. She is mostly indoors, but if she was harming another neighbor's animals, I wouldn't be upset if they shot her. It is our responsibility to keep her in our yard.

I worry about large dogs at the coop too, and have hardware cloth stapled, then 2"x4" woven wire over the lower 4', all with fence staples, and then wood strips screwed into the framing. View attachment 1890183 View attachment 1890184 View attachment 1890185 Also a concrete foundation, and doors with locks. Safe from dogs, and no bears here yet.
My current dogs are well fenced, but disasters do happen, and I'm responsible for their behavior! I totally don't understand people like your neighbors! Consider renting or buying a huge live trap and sending this dog off to Animal Control. Could you trap him in your run or coop, without any live birds present, and have AC get him?
Good luck,
Mary

I looked at those large traps and they are expensive! I doubt my husband would agree to that. I may call animal control and ask about renting one from them. See if that is even possible. I also think that our HOA will pitch a fit if they see a large trap in our back yard. Our yard is visible from the road.

I looked at those large traps and they are expensive! I doubt my husband would agree to that. I may call animal control and ask about renting one from them. See if that is even possible. I also think that our HOA will pitch a fit if they see a large trap in our back yard. Our yard is visible from the road.
oh didn't know you have a HOA, there is another venue for you to go through, if the dog isn't being kept in their yard and after your chickens . Just call the HOA and tell them as the neighbors refuse to keep their dog on their property and it's killing your animals and could attack someone you will temporarily be setting a trap up as you went to the neighbors and tried to get the situation resolved. The neighbor being the problem will most likely get into trouble or at least made to control their animal and they had fair warnign you would be putting trap up only temporarily

Try talking to your HOA again; terrible neighbor dog problem! Can one neighbor's pet go around killing another resident's pets??? Is this dog a danger to you in your yard? You seem worried about it.
This neighbor is legally responsible for the loss of your bird, and any reasonable person would have apologized, paid, and fixed the issue already.
Move to the boonies! No HOA! Electric fencing! A real flock!
Mary

Could I suggest a slightly different approach? Having a conversation with this neighbor can lead to arguments and different opinions. Perhaps a carefully worded letter delivered by registered mail? Explain that your were told your had the right to shoot the dog and that 3 attempts to get at your chicken, animal control will take him. Explain that you don't want to do these things and have their family pet taken away, but at the same time, this chickens are your pets and the dog is interfering with your ability to enjoy them. Ask them to get the dog off of your land but that is the pricier persisted, you'll be forced to follow animal control's advice.
That way, no confrontation. And you'd have record of the delivery of the letter. Then - take a picture of the dog anytime he's there, and call animal control after the 3rd time, call animal control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom