Dog is back again

Status
Not open for further replies.
The neighbor's dog came back again today. I had posted about a month ago that he broke into our run and killed one of our chickens. We reinforced the run, and this time he wasn't able to break in, but he kept throwing himself against the run, then the coop. We found out we can't put up an electric fence, per the HOA.

The neighbors were snarky about it this time. He is kept behind a wireless fence, but apparently chicken is worth getting shocked.
We called animal control to ask what could be done since the neighbors were not cooperative. They said legally we can kill the dog if it is even attempting to get into the pen, but I would hate to go that far. However, he is going to keep coming back. We are not going to always be home, and even if we are, this is a 100 plus pound black lab/pitbull mix. My husband doesn't want me attempting to chase him off if he isn't there, in case the dog becomes aggressive.

Ugh. I am not really asking for advice, but just venting!
Spray with a hose, blast from compressed air horn, shoot with bean bag? I get you don't want to shoot him, I'd be reluctant, too.

Don't get yourself hurt. I would send a registered letter informing your neighbor that if they don't feel required to contain their dog, you will have to build a better chicken coop to protect your chickens and they will be responsible for the cost incurred. One way or another you're going to protect your chickens. Then - reinforce your fence, and then sue the neighbors in small claims court for the money required to do so. Call it Fort Clucky and hang a sign that says "No Dogs Permitted" (The catty part of me would have a coop unveiling with a block party invited and put the neighbors as the special guests whom you are thankful were so generous as to give your chickens the home they deserve.. but I am passive aggressive.)

Someone shot my dog with a paintball gun but was a different type of ball because it totally popped a big hole in her side about the size of a Canadian toonie. I think it was the guy next door ?..His dog comes here to chase my Birds..:barnie
Bindi chases him home...:th
Similar to what we have here. My dogs have killed on and mauled another of a particular neighbors dogs. Those neighbors re-dog quickly and they have lost multiple I cannot account for.

I think that’s the best thing you can do. Let animal control deal with the neighbor.

Just out of curiosity, since I have no idea how these things work... How does one become an HOA president? Are there elections? Are there term limits? Who nominates them?

There are elections, which were done before we moved in. Someone from the community nominates, and then they have a vote across the community. No term limits and it takes a 75 percent majority vote to remove someone from their position. There are new elections every two years. From what I understand from others in the community, this guy was elected when the community was first developed (which is only 10 years ago), and no one ever runs against him.
For fun, could you post a copy of the HOA rules and indicate the county and state in which you reside. it might help us all understand better how the rules mesh across jurisdictions.

Oh goodness, the HOA covenant is about ten pages and written in legalese. I don't have a digital copy. I think I will remain anonymous with county and state for now, as I am a bit paranoid now that someone that knows this guy will possibly be on here.

There are elections, which were done before we moved in. Someone from the community nominates, and then they have a vote across the community. No term limits and it takes a 75 percent majority vote to remove someone from their position. There are new elections every two years. From what I understand from others in the community, this guy was elected when the community was first developed (which is only 10 years ago), and no one ever runs against him.

Oh goodness, the HOA covenant is about ten pages and written in legalese. I don't have a digital copy. I think I will remain anonymous with county and state for now, as I am a bit paranoid now that someone that knows this guy will possibly be on here.
All I got is... :hugs I am sorry you are in this situation. I hope you can get out of it sooner rather than later. Until then, keep documenting, photographing and reporting. Hang in there.

Some fights are worth fighting.

Your HOA said you can't protect your property and other residents can run roughshod over you? They can use your property for a kennel/dog park without compensating you? Is that right? I'd send the registered letter to the HOA and let them know that, if they don't restrain the dog then you are going to put up your electric fence. Give them a week to 10 days to respond, then go from there. You'll have your proof if it goes to court, which neither of you want. They'll do what they have to to get the loose dog matter taken care of.

Your HOA said you can't protect your property and other residents can run roughshod over you? They can use your property for a kennel/dog park without compensating you? Is that right? I'd send the registered letter to the HOA and let them know that, if they don't restrain the dog then you are going to put up your electric fence. Give them a week to 10 days to respond, then go from there. You'll have your proof if it goes to court, which neither of you want. They'll do what they have to to get the loose dog matter taken care of.
If you read the thread, you'll see that the HOA president is the owner of said dog. OP feels her hands are tied there, and is documenting, reporting and photgraphing each time the dog shows up. A good plan in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom