Dog is back again

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a game camera, put it up.
IMAG00021123 06.jpg

Ok, so you’re not allowed an “electric fence”. Just hang a couple lines of bare wire that happen to contact an extension cord with a broken wire...that’s not your fault, you’re not an electrician.

That is an electricution hazard, could kill anything that touches it, including humans!

There is a reason that they make "fence charges" ... they have the proper volts, and amps ... and are sent out a programed interval schedule ... usually less than a second on, then off for 2-5 seconds ...

That's my point. I don't think it would go to court. If I put up an electric fence because the HOA president won't protect my property then let him sue me. Any lawyer would tell him he has no case, so he'll drop it. Sounds like he's a big guy with power and just needs someone to take him down a peg or two. I would also start asking other homeowners what they think--I'll bet you're not the only one dissatisfied with this guy.

That's my point. I don't think it would go to court. If I put up an electric fence because the HOA president won't protect my property then let him sue me. Any lawyer would tell him he has no case, so he'll drop it. Sounds like he's a big guy with power and just needs someone to take him down a peg or two. I would also start asking other homeowners what they think--I'll bet you're not the only one dissatisfied with this guy.

Legally, we are allowed to protect our chickens. So I can call shoot the dog, then call animal control and report it, and be following the law. I would just rather avoid that, as we have to live here and we live across from this person.

The HOA community has no rules about dog containment, nor does the county. So I go through the Animal Control, which is working with me.

Sooooooooooo... don't shoot the dog. The fallout with the neighbors could literally be deadly (people are nuts).

If I were in your shoes, I would set a trap (but I'm also nuts). I'd lock up all my chickens except one brave soul who would give her life for the better of the flock- and leave a small area open in the fence faced inward- so when the dog pushed in, he'd have a serious issue getting out. Then he will be trapped in your Pen- after killing your chicken, and when you call animal control they will come take care of him.

That's obviously a bit over the top- but I've dealt with worse and come out ahead. Your neighbors laughing at their aggressive dog is enough for me to set the trap though. That dog's next victim may be the 4-year old girl down the street.

I think that's a bit extreme. Just because it's a pit mix doesn't mean it's human aggressive.

To the OP, trap it and call animal control. You don't have to sacrifice a bird, raw meat would likely work. I wish you the best of luck, it's definitely not a good situation when you have a rotten neighbor.

That's a good thought...since the owner would have to pay to get the dog back. Maybe hitting them in the wallet would spark them to do something.

If I was in the OP's situation with not being able to put up an electric fence and knowing the neighbors aren't going to control their dog, I would shoot the darn thing. I have a zero tolerance policy for neighbor's BS.
sounds as if they may be the type of dog owner who would leave the dog on account of it costing money.... some people should not be allowed to have animals.

maybe fire a shot over the dogs head the next time you see him at it? might shake your neighbour as well. you have the law on your side.

sounds as if they may be the type of dog owner who would leave the dog on account of it costing money.... some people should not be allowed to have animals.

maybe fire a shot over the dogs head the next time you see him at it? might shake your neighbour as well. you have the law on your side.
Not really: You may legally be allowed to shoot a dog on your property that is killing livestock, but you may not be allowed to discharge a firearm in the area. Catch 22 situation.
As dog-lovers here are strictly against »forgetting chocolate« outside, what about dog-repellent sprays?

If you live in an area with an HOA, I would avoid discharging a firearm if at all possible. If you truly cannot go the electric fence route, I would get a trap. Trap it and call Animal Control to come get it or take the trap w/ dog to Animal Control yourself. The issue may then be retaliation by the dog owner. Someone mentioned chocolate--situations like this is exactly why some people resort to poison. I wish there were better options, but you deal with what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom