Dog is sick

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ChickenGirl555, Dec 15, 2017.

1. ChickenGirl555

ChickenGirl555 Songster

Oct 22, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
    I have a 8lb Chiweenie named Zilla that has been having diarrhea lately. It’s getting a little better but I was wondering if she could have caught something from the chickens? Like salmonella? She doesn’t look like she’s in pain, she’s just sad because she thinks she’s in trouble, but we know she can’t help it. We have been feeding her a mixture of pumpkin, chicken, and rice, and of course water. So could she be sick from the chickens? She likes to hang out around them.

penny1960 likes this.
  2. mesafox101

mesafox101 Chirping

Aug 30, 2017
    you should bring her to a vet if your worried

penny1960 likes this.
  3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Skip the pumpkin... what about dog food? Where did you get that recipe? How long have you been feeding it? How long have you had her?

How old is she? Have you ever had the feces tested for worms at the vet? Or wormed? What do you normally feed? Have you switched it recently? How long has this been happening? Is it every time? What color is it? Is your dog up to date on vaccinations?

My dogs have never caught anything from my chickens. But they are different animals with different immunity's and health and such. What doesn't effect one chicken or dog might effect another. My dogs just love eating chicken poo. And lot's of people feed their dogs whole raw chicken. Also, I haven't yet been tested, but some flock have salmonella while others don't. Did you look up salmonella symptoms in dogs or any other causes of diarrhea? There can be many.

Having a fecal float done at the vet is usually around $15, while a visit is often between $45-65.

All questions are aimed at helping. No judgement here.

Hope your pup feels better! :fl

4. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Songster

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Good that you've got her on a nice bland diet, but I would schedule a Vet appointment to have a look over. She may have worms or just dietary indiscretion, but I think having a doctor look at her would give you peace of mind.

5. JeanR

JeanR Songster

Jul 6, 2009
    Montana
    Not a good idea to WORM any animal that is sick and "may have worms"! Worm medication is a poison that kills GOOD and bad bacteria in the gut. This leaves a pet without any protection from infections. After treatment of worms must include yoghurt or other forms of the good bacteria that we all need for continued good health. Guessing can be very harmful to our pets. Wrong medication even worse. Most pets will have worms--and often not harmful, but should be checked and wormed while healthy,. if needed! If one chicken has worms in sufficient load to be harmful--the whole flock does. We want our animals to be healthy--dogs and cats should have annual (or least scheduled) Vet visits for check up--just like people should. Chickens need watching for flock symptoms--then treatment IF DIAGNOSED correctly! Otherwise feed well (low or no "treats) that may interfere with normally good nutrition. Watch that dear dog....hope diarrhea will end soon.....Good luck

EggSighted4Life and penny1960 like this.
  6. Stayc

Stayc Crowing

May 18, 2017
    Keysville Virginia
    I would also skip the pumpkin. When my dogs have diarrhea i go with the chicken and rice only. Hope zilla feels better soon :hugs

EggSighted4Life and penny1960 like this.
  7. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Dogs can certainly get coccidiosis. No idea if they can get it from chickens, I've heard yes and no. I forget to ask the vet.
    But bad diarrhea is certainly the main symptom, that also smells really vile.

Need vet to diagnose and treat.

penny1960 likes this.
  8. ChickenGirl555

ChickenGirl555 Songster

Oct 22, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Her poops are a little more solid. I don’t think she has worms because there’s no specks in her poop, and she doesn’t seem in pain, just scared that we will punish her but we understand she can’t help it.

We’ll contact our vet if it isn’t better in a few days, but for now it’s starting to thicken and look slightly more like regular poop. I feel bad, because we have to lock her in our kitchen when we were aren’t home or watching her, and she doesn’t like that. I’ll let you all know what happens. And I’m using canned pumpkin, so it’s just the mushy stuff.

Also @EggSighted4Life we have Bella dog food, and have fed it to her for over a year and nothing bad happened, so it’s not the dog food. We’ve had her for 4 years

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    penny1960 likes this.
  9. rachelsflock

rachelsflock Songster

Feb 3, 2015
    Southeast Michigan
    BTW, wormers kill worms, some surface bugs too MAYBE depending on the wormer, coccidiastats kill protozoa, antibiotics kill bacteria, and antifungal kill fungi. Vet won't intentionally use dogacide to treat an illness usually. That would be a lame vet.

Pyxis, penny1960 and Folly's place like this.
  10. ronzxcvb

ronzxcvb Chirping

May 6, 2017
    Chester South Carolina
    I would also skip the pumpkin
    Vet had us give our corgi pumpkin for constipation

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: