dog kennel attachment

cannsyl

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2015
So I'm planning on building a hen house and attaching it to my dog kennel as a run. I'm wondering how others attached their houses to the kennels? Did you cut a hole in the chain link? Did you just bend the wires? Seems that would be difficult. Not sure how to have my hen house pop door open into the kennel/run.

I would take the end panel of the run off. Purchase 2 posts and set them on each side of the coop. Streach new fabric from the open end of the run to the new posts next to the coop.

It's like one sheet of chain link stretched around the frame. So I can't take off none end. I think I'm going to have to cut a hole and frame it. Has anyone else done that?

I also scored so wood laminate flooring today. I have 3 boxes of it, anyone ever use wood laminate for a hen house floor? Of course I would cover it with shavings but I thought it would be easy to clean.

I also scored so wood laminate flooring today. I have 3 boxes of it, anyone ever use wood laminate for a hen house floor? Of course I would cover it with shavings but I thought it would be easy to clean.

It maybe ok at first, but you would need a thick layer of shavings. Don't you think that over time it would get wet and begin to rot?

I have a mini-coop that i made from pvc tubing and i cut a door and framed it. If fit this to a run, which is open at one end, which i fit next to the mini-coop to mum and chicks can get a bit of exercise during the chicks' first 2 weeks or so.

I thought about rot, but lots of people seem to just use plywood...seems like they would have the same issue right? Maybe I can weather proof it and that would help it last? Just going through ideas for the moment...

I thought about rot, but lots of people seem to just use plywood...seems like they would have the same issue right? Maybe I can weather proof it and that would help it last? Just going through ideas for the moment...

There's no reason why you should not give it a go and weatherproofing would help extend its life-span.

It will be ok for a while. Wood being wood will do what wood does in time. The new all vinyl plastic type would last a long long time. I’m looking to floor my coop with it this year sometime when I find some clearance at work for cheap. Likely turn into a complete coop rebuild tho, lol!!!

It will be ok for a while. Wood being wood will do what wood does in time. The new all vinyl plastic type would last a long long time. I’m looking to floor my coop with it this year sometime when I find some clearance at work for cheap. Likely turn into a complete coop rebuild tho, lol!!!
This thread is 5 years old, so the original poster probably finished their coop a long time ago.

Lots of old threads have been popping up lately, so we're all having to learn to look at the dates before posting ;)

This thread is 5 years old, so the original poster probably finished their coop a long time ago.

Lots of old threads have been popping up lately, so we're all having to learn to look at the dates before posting ;)
Yep I realized that pretty fast after I posted hehehe 😊
Still could be a help tho to someone 👍

Back
Top Bottom