Dog killed 3 of my girls

I too have had many dog problems. Lost a guinea to a dog just a few days ago. I did not shoot the dog, but if it comes back again, I will shoot it. Someone on BYC has a signature that states "your dog on your property is a pet. Your dog on my property is a predator." A few towns away, a husky got loose, animal control shot it. This dog was running horses and goats. The owners state "our dog would never do that". Well, guess what, it did. I have seen first hand the damage a dog can do, it is horrible. They are not killing for food like a fox or other wild animal. They do it for fun. Chickens are great toys for a dog, it squeeks, flops, runs. Dog will kill one, and move on to the next one until the game is over. I have watched my neighbors dog chase my guineas until it was exausted, covered in blood. Neighbor says, "its ok, he will only pull out their feathers". 3 dead guineas later they finally caught it and drug it home. Its a big dog, growls at me and my entire family. It has ran my horses and birds more times than I can count. Dog has a bullet with its name on it now. I do feel bad for the dog anyway. He is tied out 24/7 and gets no attention at all. Totally not the dogs fault. But it is not my fault either and I will not allow dogs on my property to kill off my birds, or run my other livestock. My new rule is one chance. Dog comes back again, it will not be going home. Sorry to sound so mean about it, but I have alot of money and time in my small farm, and just will not allow someone elses ignorance to threaten it.

I would also probably shoot that dog, but realize that I'm killing an animal due to a negligent owner. I very much think the dogs are blameless - we have, after all, specifically bred them to act this way.

I've been thinking - maybe I can offer my neighbors some training with the dogs who live near me to see if I can lessen the threat to my own flock? I have been using a spray bottle with vinegar in it on my hound dog, and it has been working like magic. We can't expect other animal owners to be responsible, but we can at least try to advocate for it.

my thinking is... the dog is doing what a dog should do. its suppose to catch and eat slow birds,its suppose to be wild but us as the smart humans we are think we can breed the wild out of them, we cant.its in their genetic code to kill and eat. would i kill a dog,,yup in a second. have shot a few, and every time i say sorry to the dog, it wasnt his fault, its the owner of the dogs fault. do i get angry,,bet that, makes me so freakin mad that a person would MAKE me shoot their animal cause they were to lazy to assure that their pet was safe. ive never blamed a dog, feel sorry for it, but boy can i let the owner know.. heh

Last edited:
Give a free pass one time,but if it happens again you should shoot the dog and leave a note(with no check).......

"Please know we are sincerely sorry for the unfortunate SECOND incident with Pete and our beloved chickens. We know he was your pet, and very special to your family. We are truly sorry you let him run free, and he went into our yard (again) where it was necessary to kill him in order to protect our family and livestock, Warmest regard".

I know dogs get loose. I might even give a free pass if just one chicken was harmed(or even killed),but if the dog took out my flock I would kill it.

I know this has brought out the good and bad in a lot of people. I was starting to comes to grips with it all especially since they said they would pay the vet bill and the $200 for the chickens and run. Well I was in a great mood coming home from work today until I got the mail. The first note they hand wrote and left in the mail box, today I get a mailed letter that was typed:

"Please find enclosed a check for $44.00.
This payment brings the total payments made to you to $244.00. This is to cover the $204.00 Veterinary bill for euthanizing one of your chickens and $40.00 to cover the replacement of the 4 chickens killed by Pete.

If you find that the $40.00 does not cover your cost to replace the 4 chickens, please let us know and provide us with receipts so that we can reimburse you for the additional cost.

As we have said before, we are so very sorry for our lapse in awareness concerningthe invisible fence collar for Pete. We are even more regretful that your family suffered theses losses as a result. Sincerely, Anne Marie Poore and Gordon Poore"

Yes she typed "theses"

Do most people think I am overreacting? My chickens were in my yard in their coop/run. I feel violated, I worry about the one remaining out there (we have done what we can to try to make it so it can't happen again but I though it was ok before) and I worry about the new girls I am getting. When they came after the incident they wanted to fix the run build a new one, pay for damages etc, now they won't pay what they agreed to. I still can go to court and press civil and criminal charges, I know I won't get anything from it but they will have to pay court cost a fine and it will be an inconvenience for them...Animal control told us they would pay $200 for the loss of our girls and the damage to the run. They also told the Poores that we may be taking the injured bird to the vet and they agreed to take care of that as well (if I had tried to save her the vet bill would have been almost $750.00). I know some have posted that they shouldn't have to pay the vet bill. I can understand that some of you process your chickens and cull them when necessary. I couldn't do that, if it had been my cat I wouldn't kill it to put it out of its misery I would take it to the vet. To me these were my pets and I did just what I would do for a cat or dog. We live in the city and I did what I was supposed to do to try and keep my girls safe. Now I am out 4 girls who were my pets and providing eggs, I am now going to build a coop with run that nothing can get thru and it is going to cost a lot. Am I overracting or are these "neighbors" being jerks?

Last edited:
Now that's how you make a statement! Your neighbor would have to be a total idiot to not understand this message. If I ever have to shoot my neighbors dog he probably won't know it...SSS.

Last week I catch a flash out the window and by the time I got my .45, out the door, and found the culprit he had ripped the tail and butt out of one of our EE's I tried to chase it off but it kept circling back so I grabbed it's collar dragged it over to my chicken pushed it's nose next to it and squeezed the trigger. That dog didn't even flinch. just stood there wagging it's tail. Then I hear " You didn't shoot my dog did you? "Not this time." I said. "Come here and get your dog and chicken." Helluva way to meet the new neighbors. But now I won't have to convince them that their dog is up to no good.

Please don't be mad, but I think you are over reacting a little. If you read enough on here you will find that a neighbor taking responsibility and paying up is a rare thing. If you take them to court you further the incident and continue the fued and your neighbor (the person in the wrong here) will end up being mad back. Instead of them being mad, let them feel sorry every time they see you and are reminded of what they let happen. Take them to court and they will probably scowl at you when they see you. Think of this as the martyr approach.

Last edited:
Now that's how you make a statement! Your neighbor would have to be a total idiot to not understand this message. If I ever have to shoot my neighbors dog he probably won't know it...SSS.

Agree , way to make a statement and sorry for the loss of your EE, one of the ones I lost was an EE and hate to say it one of my favorites!!

And now I want a gun for myself, not my husbands gun but one I can load fast and shoot fast and after today I can't say I wouldn't hope that dog comes back...one less dog, oops so sorry your dog was in my backyard,

You live in a neighborhood, yet you say that you want a gun so you can load fast and shoot fast!?! Seriously!!!????

I would have no arguement about taking legal steps to assure that the dog owner is held responsible and that the dog is deemed a threat. However, if you are in a high-stress, anger siutation (if your chickens are being attacked by a dog) - - the LAST thing you need is a gun in your hand in a NEIGHBORHOOD.

BTW: I am a proud NRA member, experienced shooter. I have nothing against firearms. I have a problem with irresponsible use of them.

Last edited:
i can understand your anger as i have had dogs jump my fence and kill my rabbits. animal control did nothing. then i had pitbulls attack my golden retriever (twice!) and animal control did nothing. that time i had to go to court to get my lousy $200 from the owner and take payments and then get a lawyer to write a letter when they stopped making payments. so you were lucky to get anything out of the owner.
build a better enclosure for your chickens. there are probably other dogs not to mention the plethora of other predators. this year i am losing them from the dang birds coming from above. hawks and crows of all things.

Well I am having anger management issues right now. These people saw how devastated my family was, they came to the house while my husband was cleaning up. Animal control came as well at the same time. The people agreed to damages plus the vet bill. They were willing to do anything at that point the wife was saying how good of a carpenter her husband was and he would build a new run, etc. I don't want to sound like a snob but I live in a neighborhood with a lot of people who think they are better than anyone else, that they have a lot of money and they can do nothing wrong and these are one of the people who think that way...I knew that when it happened. I always knew she wasn't a very nice person if you know what I mean, only talks to you when she wants something, actsl like she has no clue who you are when you see her at the grocery store etc. But everyone kept telling me that they were good people and would do the right thing and do what they promised. Well not so, I contacted Animal control and the officer said that they did agreed to what we discussed. What makes me mad is that now they are going back on their word, yes I should have gotten it in writing right then and there but these were GOOD people. Yes, I do want a gun I can load and shoot with quickly! If that dog or any other comes into my yard and goes after my chickens it will be dead.

Back
Top Bottom