Dog mauled chicken - help!

I used Vetericyn when one of our pullets got injured and it worked great.
I used hydrogen peroxide to flush the wound and Neospirin the first day untill I got Vetericyn spray from the feed store.
I hope she gets better.
Sorry I am too late ☺️Just saw the other comments. Glad she is doing better!

Thanks everyone for your ideas and support. Little hen is on the mend. I used oral antibiotics, and the best I could do was dress the wound for 3 days, then leave it uncovered with daily spray of iodine and blu-cote. Left her with a flock mate in their trailer for two weeks. The skin grew back thankfully and I am seeing a couple of new feathers around the wound, not yet from the new skin. She is eating and laying normally. Thanks!
Sounds good!
It will take some time for new feathers to come in, but it sounds like she's healing nicely.
Thanks for the update:)

I had a chicken attacked by a dog during the winter. Looked very similar to those wounds. I wasn’t sure if she was going to make it. But I slathered Neosporin into the wounds and the feathers covered it well enough that the other chickens left it alone. I applied it for a few days and they closed up pretty quickly. All wounds healed well. I can feel some scar tissue under her feathers and you can see some feathers are a little out of place. But chickens are amazingly resilient. Good luck and I hope she is ok.
Won't the neosporin prevent the skin from stitching together? I will try it tho.

hey, now it looks like the skin is being pulled back over her shoulders. All the meat on her shoulders is exposed. I sprayed her generously with iodine and blu-cote. I was too afraid to rub neosporin on the raw skin. Is there a chance she'll survive without veterinary attention?

Last edited:
I have just done a quick search for antibiotics that you can use and found this, so your well equipped 👍

9831B5A6-6D02-4F31-B94B-4F68FCEEA880.png

I just wouldn’t know the best one or the correct dosage.

question - is it possible she is picking at her wound and making it worse? Two things make me think this - about an hour after I first noticed she was injured on the back of her neck, all the skin on her shoulders looked torn off. I don't know if the hen or the dog did this. Also I noticed today that her beak is blue, as if stained from the blue-cote I sprayed on her a few days ago.
She could be, do you still have it wrapped? It’s probably just a case of her trying to get the wrap off and it’s stained her beak. It will come off her beak naturally. How is she doing?

Back
Top Bottom