Dog mauled chicken - help!

Hi, just an update. The local pharmacist (bless, her, she also owns chickens) recommended the following - non stick pads 2x3" on the wound, then wrap with a few yards of gauze, over the shoulders and breast then under the wings in a crossover pattern, then surgical tape 8" strips to secure the edge of the gauze. It appears to be holding in place and covering the wound. Hen is still active and eating :)
Thanks for the update! That is good news! when cleaning and changing the wound daily, I have found Vetrycin is brilliant. Also, if you find she pecks and pulls off the dressings, you could also use a babies vest or t-shirt to cover loosely. Good luck and keep me posted please :)

question - is it possible she is picking at her wound and making it worse? Two things make me think this - about an hour after I first noticed she was injured on the back of her neck, all the skin on her shoulders looked torn off. I don't know if the hen or the dog did this. Also I noticed today that her beak is blue, as if stained from the blue-cote I sprayed on her a few days ago.

question - is it possible she is picking at her wound and making it worse? Two things make me think this - about an hour after I first noticed she was injured on the back of her neck, all the skin on her shoulders looked torn off. I don't know if the hen or the dog did this. Also I noticed today that her beak is blue, as if stained from the blue-cote I sprayed on her a few days ago.
She could have gotten blue on her beak while preening if it wasn't fully dry yet.

She could be, do you still have it wrapped? It’s probably just a case of her trying to get the wrap off and it’s stained her beak. It will come off her beak naturally. How is she doing?
Hi thank you for asking. She kept getting her feet stuck in the bandages so frankly I gave up and stopped wrapping her after 3-4 days. What I did to make her more comfortable was cut away all the feathers hangong over the wound area, spray her daily with Blu-Cote, and gave her oral antibiotics for 9 days. Also lots of treats like egg yolks and hot oat cereal. She is still alive and eating. It's hard to see through the Blu-cote but it looks like some skin is growing back. Maybe in a week will reassess and let her rejoin the flock.

Back
Top Bottom