Dog mauled chicken - help!

Hi thank you for asking. She kept getting her feet stuck in the bandages so frankly I gave up and stopped wrapping her after 3-4 days. What I did to make her more comfortable was cut away all the feathers hangong over the wound area, spray her daily with Blu-Cote, and gave her oral antibiotics for 9 days. Also lots of treats like egg yolks and hot oat cereal. She is still alive and eating. It's hard to see through the Blu-cote but it looks like some skin is growing back. Maybe in a week will reassess and let her rejoin the flock.
That’s great news!! Thanks for the update!! 👍 It sounds like everything is going well, plz let us know how it goes when you let her rejoin the flock :D

Hi, I believe my dog mauled this barred rock hen. He bit her neck and the spine can be seen if you lift the skin. She is still walking normally and drinking water. She is covered in mud (I assume from struggling with my dog.) There is only an emergency vet right now about 100 miles away, and I don't have the funds. Should I put iodine on the open skin? Wrap her in gauze? Any other supportive care? Is there a chance it will heal by itself, or must it be stitched or covered?
I used Vetericyn when one of our pullets got injured and it worked great.
I used hydrogen peroxide to flush the wound and Neospirin the first day untill I got Vetericyn spray from the feed store.
I hope she gets better.

Back
Top Bottom