Dog muzzle okay?

A muzzle can be a useful tool, but it does require training and conditioning. It's not something you can do in a couple of days.

One of my dogs was not properly socialized as a puppy and can be a bit iffy with non family members. He wears a muzzle when the kids have friends over for sleepovers and family gatherings like Thanksgiving. After a while he settles down and we can often remove the muzzle. If we can't be right there or he doesn't settle he goes in his crate.

Can you just put your dog in a room? My dog is aggressive toward certain people (we don't know why), so whenever there's someone new coming around that I'm concerned that he won't like, I put him in my bedroom (which is where he usually sleeps at night). I got a plastic muzzle for when I take him places and I'll only put it on him when I take him out of the car. You shouldn't keep a muzzle on your dog for a long time. (I think the directions I got with one muzzle said 15 minutes or less?)
My male pup use to be that way towards certains people especially men, but with a lot reinforcement and training i can now take him places and people can enter our house with no problem. The easiest thing is to teach the pup that people equals good not bad.

My male pup use to be that way towards certains people especially men, but with a lot reinforcement and training i can now take him places and people can enter our house with no problem. The easiest thing is to teach the pup that people equals good not bad.
It's mostly men with my dog too. Unfortunately, he's 5 years old now, so I'm not sure about training. (I got him when he was 2.5 and this has always been a problem.) I also am not around a lot of people that isn't usually around, so times of working with him around strangers are few and far between.

It's mostly men with my dog too. Unfortunately, he's 5 years old now, so I'm not sure about training. (I got him when he was 2.5 and this has always been a problem.) I also am not around a lot of people that isn't usually around, so times of working with him around strangers are few and far between.
There is no age limit to training!

@QuailMan6666 another thing is not all muzzles are bite proof, most actually aren’t! if your dog will bite then, never put your dog in a situation where the dog is likely to bite and use as many prevention methods as possible, never have one thing in between your dog and biting someone

Back
Top Bottom