Dog name ideas?

Perry17

Songster
Sep 17, 2017
Put a deposit down on a Border Collie Litter a few weeks ago. They were just born and I'm planning a road trip to go see them this weekend. :)

He/She will be my new herding dog in training, comes from great lines and mom and dad are both doing great in trials. I am so excited! But I need some name ideas. :confused:

I'm 4th on the waiting list, and there are 8 pups. Hoping to get a girl if there are enough to go around, so need some girl names. They are long haired, Black and White, maybe some freckles depending on which pup I end up with.

I kinda like Odd/Cool/Western/Tough names. Here is a list of names I like and might use at some point, but I just don't think any of these will suit this pup.
Echo
Delta
Venus
Gin
Spade
Jinx
Pandora
Harlem
Mace
Darlin
Relic
Cinder

For a boy:
Beau/Bo
Sargon
Toto
Prince/King

For a girl:
Winter
Penny
Cirvella
Peaches

I have a collie and his name is Beau, and if I get another probably Sargon.

Hmmm if I think of any more I'll post them haha. I just need somewhere to have them all saved on, and get yalls opinion at the same time.

If y'all have any boy names, throw those out there too. I don't know the gender count of the litter yet, so who knows, I might end up with a boy after all.

For boy I kinda like...
Buck
Ruger
Jager
Cairo

I like Beau or Bo too. But in my head I have that saved incase I ever get a red one, registered "Bourbon Red" like the turkey, and call him bo. Just realizing now how crazy that sounds, I have a serious poultry obsession :lau.

Hmmm if I think of any more I'll post them haha. I just need somewhere to have them all saved on, and get yalls opinion at the same time.

If y'all have any boy names, throw those out there too. I don't know the gender count of the litter yet, so who knows, I might end up with a boy after all.

For boy I kinda like...
Buck
Ruger
Jager
Cairo

I like Beau or Bo too. But in my head I have that saved incase I ever get a red one, registered "Bourbon Red" like the turkey, and call him bo. Just realizing now how crazy that sounds, I have a serious poultry obsession :lau.
Don’t worry about that poultry obsession. We all have it! Isn’t that why we all joined BYC?

How wonderful!
Maybe when you meet your pup, you'll know what to call it. I say, don't label it a name that has any negative connotation like Jinx or Pandora. Or even King, because you want it to see you as the leader. I really believe that with names for animals, things, places, etc, it's important to be positive. Someone we knew about named their boat Hurricane, and it was lost in a gale. The local shelter named one of the dogs Chaos, and he was adopted but returned to the shelter 4 times.
Name it what you want it to become.
Good luck, and post pics!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
How exciting for you! It seems a very personal issue though. In my experience my animals have always sort of told me their names, as in I had to meet them and sometimes even have them for a bit to know what the best name would be.
Good luck!

I know what you mean! Sometimes you just know, it always takes me forever to pick the right name. With my first border collie, I already had a name picked out and everything, I think I was going to go with "Scout" or something. But after a few days with her, I was like nope your name is "Perry". Named after our state fair city. Glad I changed it because "Perry" suits her perfectly. Haha

I love place names. Since I already went with Perry for my girl I have now, I thought I might as well continue it lol. Like Salem, Dallas, Cairo, and some of the others are cities in GA.

We did a goat theme one year and named all our kids "disaster" names haha. Chaos, Karma, Mayhem, Geico, etc. I kinda just like how they sound hahaha. Like an intimidating/tough name almost.

Thank you! I am so excited to meet them tomorrow! I have been waiting years to get another good herding dog, I know my girl will love having a buddy to help her work. I can't wait until I get to watch them learn to herd together. I'm not sure when they will let us start choosing, but I have been in love with the parents for years, so I know they will all be great little workers no matter which one I choose. I'll hopefully get some pictures of them tomorrow. :)

Back
Top Bottom