Dog problems

chickm1

Chirping
8 Years
May 2, 2015
I was going to post on the dog issue, but it says at the bottom that I have insufficient privileges to post there. ??? Neighborhood dogs are a problem. I had a neighbor that let his 2 labs out, at night. They always came a dumped my trash over. I finally found out what dogs they were and who owned them. I called and told him what was going on and asked him to pen his dogs. He was kinda smart alec, but the dog problem disappeared for about 10 days. Then, I caught them in the act, during the day. I got pictures and sent them to the guy's phone and texted him to please do something with his dogs, or I would take care of the problem. I have never seen the dogs down here again. Trap companies do make live traps large enough for dogs. But they can run from $175 to $500 each. Only small live traps, I use Pied Piper exclusively, but I have never used one of the larger live traps for dogs, so I do not have a recommendation.

That is terrible!
Umm you could put out food with hot sauce on it?
There are supposedly scents that will keep dogs away?
I use fishing line in annoying places to deal with deer, humans, and predators. With the fishing line, think like "if I were trying to mow, or run through this area, what would I trip on, what would piss me off, and what would I get caught on?"

Not sure where you live,,,,,, but you may check to see if there is a leash law in your area. If there is,,,,, then you have an option to call police, and tell them you are afraid to go out to your garage. When they arrive, they will handle the matter.
Not sure if you want to go that far. Its up to you.
I personally do not like to involve police into things.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Not sure where you live,,,,,, but you may check to see if there is a leash law in your area. If there is,,,,, then you have an option to call police, and tell them you are afraid to go out to your garage. When they arrive, they will handle the matter.
Not sure if you want to go that far. Its up to you.
I personally do not like to involve police into things.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
The police have hardly ever helped ANYONE EVER, and if they do, it is NATIONAL news. Don't call them, they will find some reason to fine you, and you will regret it. Let them play on their cellphones and nap in their cars. Paperwork is hard.

Let them play on their cellphones and nap in their cars. Paperwork is hard.
You forgot,,,,,,,
upload_2019-8-31_3-38-30.jpeg

do yall live in housing areas that don't allow for fencing?
it's not right for other people not to manage their animals. Doesn't mean we can't secure our own properties for our animals. Fencing is a long term project. We started off with right around our homestead and every year we continued expanding with small affordable fence projects . Currently one neighbor about 2 to 3 miles away has 4 pyrenees that get out, or just roam and they finally made it down where our property is. They zeroed right in on our horses and llamas but couldn't get to them, and were following the fence line looking for a way in. Proud of my dogs for reacting and thankful . You can't rely on people to do the right thing and there are people who try and have dogs that get out.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/d_l9IM3hR8KdSIneziE1Dw.G3Xa2sR_gP4nJsKxegpJ53

my pup was so proud of himself he doubled back to make sure those dogs were gone.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/NmJClmmnT428FP-znhkCbA.a528NMxmjFttcSvWV8mXDy

THE solution to dog problems.......

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dogs-and-electric-fences.1210854/

To those who refuse to be proactive, and go the route of blaming the dog or the dog owner or seek solutions or help from outside sources........well good luck with that. And those are correct to say you shouldn't have to built a fence, but to paraphrase the old saying......."put all your wishes in one hand and your chicken poop in the other and see which one piles up faster". Shouldn't have to is correct, but that is no help when your birds keep getting killed.

Do the e-fence and most of your problems go away.

I have a couple of live traps, one is for smaller critters like coons, fox, etc., and the other is a hog trap.
DSCF0012 22.jpg
DSCF0009 21.jpg

I don't wish to upset dog owners but I too am a firm believer in the 3 S's (shoot, shovel, shut up) when it comes to a dog like the one you described here, or any other predator for that matter. You have taken reasonable precautions to protect your birds and this dog (which also sounds like a potentially dangerous dog) is coming on your property and doing damage and the owners aren't doing anything about it.

Back
Top Bottom