Dog thread!šŸ¾

I also wanted to share some pictures pups that Iā€™ve helped foster, friends dogs, our two current silly seniors, and GDB dogs (Guide Dogs for the Blind) pups Iā€™ve been helping train :D

These two (the black and yellow labs) are GDBā€™s in training
View attachment 3710447View attachment 3710448View attachment 3710449View attachment 3710451View attachment 3710450View attachment 3710453View attachment 3710454View attachment 3710455

These are dogs weā€™ve fostered! At one point we had EIGHT puppies, less than 8 weeks old (abandoned in a park) and their mom, plus our two resident dogs šŸ˜‚
View attachment 3710462View attachment 3710463View attachment 3710464View attachment 3710465View attachment 3710467View attachment 3710466View attachment 3710467View attachment 3710468View attachment 3710469View attachment 3710470View attachment 3710471View attachment 3710473View attachment 3710472View attachment 3710474View attachment 3710475View attachment 3710476

This is my grandparents dog, Kylie
View attachment 3710478

View attachment 3710480

Then thereā€™s Jerry, my friends dog who is absolutely fantastic and a golden retriever View attachment 3710482View attachment 3710483View attachment 3710484

Then this is Finley and Oliver, our resident dogs. Theyā€™re almost 13 years old now View attachment 3710485View attachment 3710486View attachment 3710487View attachment 3710488View attachment 3710489View attachment 3710490View attachment 3710492View attachment 3710491
So many adorable and gorgeous pups. I have a soft spot for German shepherds. Had one when I was kid. She was the best dog. Those guide dogs are gorgeous too.

No because genetics have a lot too do with it, puppies are not blank slates

its for the same reason why you donā€™t except a golden retriever to herd or a border collie to naturally retrieve

and some like aggression only show up as the dog matures
Yes genetics play a part but it's MUCH less likely to get a behavioral problem with a puppy then an adult rescue.

Plus there has been dogs that were used for dog fights that went on to become therapy dogs so in my opinion training is the BIGGEST factor if the dog will have issues.

Yes genetics play a part but it's MUCH less likely to get a behavioral problem with a puppy then an adult rescue.

Plus there has been dogs that were used for dog fights that went on to become therapy dogs so in my opinion training is the BIGGEST factor if the dog will have issues.
That being said I do agree for a service dog a rescue wouldn't be a good option

Washington, but as @SpotTheCat said, Iā€™m unable to wait more than a few months some of you may know Iā€™ve been struggling a lot with mental health and I couldā€¦ not be hereā€¦ if I donā€™t get extra support. But I also am fully aware that I canā€™t just rely on this dog but at the same time I know itā€™s really important to get from an ethical breeder.
:hugs are there any other breeds you would like or just Goldens?

I really didnā€™t like denzilā€™s, there not so bad I would take them completely of the list but I would still look around and put them at the bottom of the list.

Its not just about if the breeder is ethical or not, you want to get from a breeder whoā€™s puppies have the highest chance of succeeding. I donā€™t like that Denzilā€˜s dogs havenā€™t done anything because showing/sports/working puts dogs in a similar environment to what a SD will be in. If they only keep there dogs as pets the dog my have never been in a busy place, around a lot of people and other dogs, they also probably wonā€™t have needed to focus or behave if they have. If any of the parents are titled then you know they most have behaved well enough in a busy environment, it doesnā€™t guarantee anything 100% but its better then if the breeder hasnā€™t done it

but you canā€™t be too fussy when you need the dog! Pepsi my ADIT came from a breeder some people would probably call a byb even though they where well taken care of, parents where worked and health tested

:hugs are there any other breeds you would like or just Goldens?

I really didnā€™t like denzilā€™s, there not so bad I would take them completely of the list but I would still look around and put them at the bottom of the list.

Its not just about if the breeder is ethical or not, you want to get from a breeder whoā€™s puppies have the highest chance of succeeding. I donā€™t like that Denzilā€˜s dogs havenā€™t done anything because showing/sports/working puts dogs in a similar environment to what a SD will be in. If they only keep there dogs as pets the dog my have never been in a busy place, around a lot of people and other dogs, they also probably wonā€™t have needed to focus or behave if they have. If any of the parents are titled then you know they most have behaved well enough in a busy environment, it doesnā€™t guarantee anything 100% but its better then if the breeder hasnā€™t done it

but you canā€™t be too fussy when you need the dog! Pepsi my ADIT came from a breeder some people would probably call a byb even though they where well taken care of, parents where worked and health tested
I wouldnt call them a byb if they do all testing thats recommended for the breed.
If their parents worked and if they have a pedigree of 3 or more generations.

I wouldnt call them a byb if they do all testing thats recommended for the breed.
If their parents worked and if they have a pedigree of 3 or more generations.
others would because they have 3+ litters a year, the dogs (and puppies) are kept outside in kennels, not all of the parents are titled, there was no puppy contract and I picked the puppy myself

my point is (incase it was hard to understand šŸ˜…)that different people have different criteria for what an ethical breeders is and most people when talking about ethical breeding donā€™t differentiate between working and companion dog breeder. I think there is a big difference in what is okay when breeding working dogs vs companion dogs

others would because they have 3+ litters a year, the dogs (and puppies) are kept outside in kennels, not all of the parents are titled, there was no puppy contract and I picked the puppy myself

my point is (incase it was hard to understand šŸ˜…)that different people have different criteria for what an ethical breeders is and most people when talking about ethical breeding donā€™t differentiate between working and companion dog breeder. I think there is a big difference in what is okay when breeding working dogs vs companion dogs
I personally donā€™t think 3, or even 4, is a lot at all. Thatā€™s once per season. I think itā€™s unrealistic to expect a breeder to only produce 1 litter a year. Now, if it was 3 litters per season Iā€™d have more of an issue.

I have read that many of the issues that arise with dog behavior is due to the puppies being removed at 8 weeks. Much of their temperament is grounded in play with siblings and mother's discipline up to 12 weeks or more.

But selling the puppies at 6-8 weeks means less hassle for the breeder, and another litter on the way.

Back
Top Bottom