Dog trainers HELP!

Glad I read through the pages. As soon as I read the initial post, I wanted to add the input that harnesses are not good for teaching dogs to heel. All they do is encourage to pull. You can get away with harnesses on really tiny dogs like chihuahuas or dogs that are respectful and don't drag you all over the place.
Agreed. Small dogs that dont need to be trained since a swift pull is enough pressure to get them by your side, can be walked on a harness.
OP, did you know that a dog can pull 4 times their body weight? That means that a 25lb dog can pull 100lbs! I'm guessing your dog weighs about 60lbs, maybe more. Hook her up to her harness and a cart and she can help around the yard. That also means that she can easily pull you around on a harness if she wanted.
Harness for training = no go.

Agreed. Small dogs that dont need to be trained since a swift pull is enough pressure to get them by your side, can be walked on a harness.
OP, did you know that a dog can pull 4 times their body weight? That means that a 25lb dog can pull 100lbs! I'm guessing your dog weighs about 60lbs, maybe more. Hook her up to her harness and a cart and she can help around the yard. That also means that she can easily pull you around on a harness if she wanted.
Harness for training = no go.
okay is this the kind of collar you are talking about? https://www.amazon.com/SGODA-Chain-...3&sr=1-1-ed8a42d3-65f1-4884-a3a2-0dd6e83b6876

and for the pulling she pulled a little but there was some slack in the line, but was always infront of me
so i took her on a walk... and she was okay we saw two dogs both times she did not bark but she was jumping up and down on the leash and growling. we also saw a rabbit which is her biggest weakness.
Edit: Looks like your on the right track! :D

Tips-
Never repeat a command, unless you want your command in teh end to be, "Sit, sit, sit, May.... Sit, Sit". Once you've taught the dog what you want them to do, say the command once, then correct. Correct 3 times, then resort to placing them in the position.

Be conisitant. You need to practice ever day if you want to get anywhere fast. In elude distractions in your daily training sessions. Go to the bakery, the dog park, or just walk down the street. The only un fair distractions are someone calling her by name, or baiting with food.

Keep sessions short and always end on a good note. For an adult dog, each session should only be 5-10 minuets, and keep watch for when their attention starts wavering. If you go on a long walk, bring the long lead, and after 5-10 minuets put her on teh long lead, and pick a release command. I use "Free to go". Then, she can run around, sniff, potty, her only job is to stay within 20 ft.

Agree, that harness would work fairly well pulling a sled!
Practice, but it needs to be good practice, not doing the same ineffective things you've been doing. A good horse trainer I've seen said "Make the right thing easy, and the wrong thing hard", and that's exactly what you need to be doing. Lots of praise when she's right, and uncomfortable when she's wrong.
Mary

Agree, that harness would work fairly well pulling a sled!
Practice, but it needs to be good practice, not doing the same ineffective things you've been doing. A good horse trainer I've seen said "Make the right thing easy, and the wrong thing hard", and that's exactly what you need to be doing. Lots of praise when she's right, and uncomfortable when she's wrong.
Mary
:goodpost:
Yes, and always remember that just because she's agin fantastic in teh back yard, does not mean she will do anything close to that on teh side walk. Distractions are key, distractions, distractions, distractions. Start with easy distractions, and eventually work up to going to the park, and walking by a bunny with her at your side in a perfect heal.

Ps. Commands never expire. You could go on a 20 minute walk at the heal without stopping, and you never need to repeat the command. You only need to repeat the command if you stop.
Eventually you want to work to being able to stop, and her instinctively going to into the sit, because thats what you've taught her to do in the stop.

I disagree about the collar length; it should fit over her head comfortably, and not be much larger. Also, smaller links give a sharper correction, maybe necessary, maybe not. She should never have the lead, however long it is, tight, there should always be some slack in it. Practice those about turns!
Here we start with a six foot lead, then twenty foot, then the magic collar, which is just a very long leash. Training retrievers and pointers, they need to think you can always reach out and touch them...
Mary

Back
Top Bottom