Dog Training and Behavior

I love training my dogs they are rescues both pure beagles and when I got them they had serious issues they came from a seriously abusive situation but now they are strong protective and very smart they are currently working on their certification to be search and rescue K9 for the local PD and park services my kids and neighbors kids love to hide in the woods from them and they will only search together we tried to send them out to search one at a time and they wouldn't go and night searches are always interesting because of the coons, possum, deer and other critters in the woods keeping them focused on the task at hand is hard but they get so excited when I get their vests out i love it
They sound awesome!!! And very cute!!

I love training my dogs they are rescues both pure beagles and when I got them they had serious issues they came from a seriously abusive situation but now they are strong protective and very smart they are currently working on their certification to be search and rescue K9 for the local PD and park services my kids and neighbors kids love to hide in the woods from them and they will only search together we tried to send them out to search one at a time and they wouldn't go and night searches are always interesting because of the coons, possum, deer and other critters in the woods keeping them focused on the task at hand is hard but they get so excited when I get their vests out i love it
How fun!
I wish I could do scentwork with my goob. She's completely nose-deaf, she can't even find food items unless she actually sees the tidbit/treat land on the ground. I'm slowly trying to help her make those brain connections, but they don't come naturally to her.

I love dog training and behavior- I find that finding out the 'why' is often half (and often more) the battle.
I try to keep up to date on the scientific studies on both behavior and training techniques. Best to be consistently and constantly improving.

Any takers?
I will bite. I love dogs almost as much as my human family. Always have. I am an animal lover in general. Chickens were a surprise though because I always wanted some but poultry and fowls of the air were a foreign language of sorts when it came to handling. back to the canine world. I believe the why is the first name of the game and consistently gets the game won for the human so that both have successfully happy lives together. They why lets the dog enjoy himself while he is being Man’s best friend in my way of thinking mostly. I have gotten into very heated debates on here with a few folks who do not understand why they cannot own certain breeds or dogs and expect them to leave their chickens alone and not kill them. I am out of steam on that and will not burn my brain calories on that again. Stupid is as stupid does. Poor chickens and poor dogs.

I will bite. I love dogs almost as much as my human family. Always have. I am an animal lover in general. Chickens were a surprise though because I always wanted some but poultry and fowls of the air were a foreign language of sorts when it came to handling. back to the canine world. I believe the why is the first name of the game and consistently gets the game won for the human so that both have successfully happy lives together. They why lets the dog enjoy himself while he is being Man’s best friend in my way of thinking mostly. I have gotten into very heated debates on here with a few folks who do not understand why they cannot own certain breeds or dogs and expect them to leave their chickens alone and not kill them. I am out of steam on that and will not burn my brain calories on that again. Stupid is as stupid does. Poor chickens and poor dogs.
Breed choice is extremely important, and I don't think enough people realize that. I think some of it has to do with 'Adopt Don't Shop' pushing so hard to just get dogs into whatever home possible without regard for good matchmaking.
My partner loves Aussies, and I said right up front "While I would love to have and work with an Aussie, YOU better be ready to run ten miles a day, because I'm not doing that. 😂" We're not extreme-exercise people, so we have to be mindful of that when we choose dog breeds.
I prefer a bidable, handler-focused dog, so while I love the look of Giant Schnauzers, they're probably not the dog for me.

Breed choice is extremely important, and I don't think enough people realize that. I think some of it has to do with 'Adopt Don't Shop' pushing so hard to just get dogs into whatever home possible without regard for good matchmaking.
My partner loves Aussies, and I said right up front "While I would love to have and work with an Aussie, YOU better be ready to run ten miles a day, because I'm not doing that. 😂" We're not extreme-exercise people, so we have to be mindful of that when we choose dog breeds.
I prefer a bidable, handler-focused dog, so while I love the look of Giant Schnauzers, they're probably not the dog for me.
I don’t think all of them necessarily need that :confused: with Aussies I think mental exercise is far more important. And some of the ones I’ve known are extremely lazy when they’re not out working lol they’re not really runners like huskies or something would be. So I think you’d be fine with one. :)

I don’t think all of them necessarily need that :confused: with Aussies I think mental exercise is far more important. And some of the ones I’ve known are extremely lazy when they’re not out working lol they’re not really runners like huskies or something would be. So I think you’d be fine with one. :)
Most of the Aussies I've met have been insane- that they are clearly not getting enough exercise, and similar to husky-people, the owners say "oh that's just his personality, he loves to tear up my furniture".
The mild mannered Aussies I have met, have always gone on runs with their people, often twice a day. They're wonderful, beautiful dogs. They're meant to run a ton, and to use their brains, we can certainly satisfy one of those requirements no problem.

I also love Malinois, which are even more insane. As much as I admire them, I don't think I could ever own one. Beautiful, incredibly smart dogs.

Most of the Aussies I've met have been insane- that they are clearly not getting enough exercise, and similar to husky-people, the owners say "oh that's just his personality, he loves to tear up my furniture".
The mild mannered Aussies I have met, have always gone on runs with their people, often twice a day. They're wonderful, beautiful dogs. They're meant to run a ton, and to use their brains, we can certainly satisfy one of those requirements no problem.

I also love Malinois, which are even more insane. As much as I admire them, I don't think I could ever own one. Beautiful, incredibly smart dogs.
Yeah, I think a lot of people just get them and huskies, etc. because they’re cute or popular or whatever but don’t really know what they’re getting into haha

That said though, I think a well bred one from a good breeder and also well trained should be relatively calm and have a good “off switch” in the house haha

They do need a lot of exercise, for sure. But I don’t think necessarily 10 miles. I think they’d be fine with like 2-3 hours maybe similar to the retrievers.

Border Collies and Mals are for sure a totally different ball park and I don’t think I could own or handle one of those either hahah but I don’t think you should dismiss Aussies quite yet and I think you could handle one. :)

My cousin had one and they’re really not “dog people” as much and didn’t really do anything with him but he was still great and amazing with their kids. SIL has one growing up too.
I understand being cautious and not jumping right into something if you’re not sure, etc. I do the same thing. Tell myself I can’t handle a certain dog or whatever. But honestly, considering how many people just get them and do absolutely nothing with them, the fact that you would be actively working with them, whether that’s teaching it tricks, or playing fetch, or hikes, or whatever, would be a lot more than most of them get and I think they would be fine with that. :)

I think the biggest thing with them is just having a job to do, which tricks can be that for them.

I am stuck between a Golden or an Aussie for my next dog and I think they are similar in a lot of ways, though of course different too. But I think you could handle one. No way I would ever run 10 miles every day either but we have almost 3 acres, chickens, and I’m planning on training tons as well as doing some dog sports. I want to try agility and nosework and then possibly rally or obedience or something. And of course trick training. We also have tons of areas around to go for hour plus long walks as well as hikes. And I think a couple long walks a day, or even being allowed to run around off leash on those walks, plus the training will be more than enough for one.

@oldhenlikesdogs has had them for years and could probably tell you more haha

Back
Top Bottom