Dog training

DLC Eskies

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 21, 2015
Chapman, Kansas
Does anyone here feed a raw diet to their dogs? I will be restarting my dogs on raw when we move back to the states and need some tips on training them to differentiate between the live birds and dinner.

Can anyone help?

it's highly unlikely that your dog will make a connection between live birds and his dinner. 99% of the dogs that kill chickens do so because it's FUN. The chicken runs and flaps around and makes a lot of noise until oopos!! it gets squished by the dog.

A simple "leave it" command as well as supervision will take care of most potential problems before they start.

Not only was Rayden a raw-fed dog, his favorite activity was chasing and squishing wild rabbits. No issues with knowing that "pet bunnies" are not to be played with

it's highly unlikely that your dog will make a connection between live birds and his dinner. 99% of the dogs that kill chickens do so because it's FUN. The chicken runs and flaps around and makes a lot of noise until oopos!! it gets squished by the dog.

A simple "leave it" command as well as supervision will take care of most potential problems before they start.

Not only was Rayden a raw-fed dog, his favorite activity was chasing and squishing wild rabbits. No issues with knowing that "pet bunnies" are not to be played with

I feed partially raw (grew up BARF feeding our Newfs). I don't think my dog makes any connection between a raw chicken carcass and a live bird.

Thank you.

Been feeding my dogs raw for 10 years. I feed Them chicken quaters,raw eggs and some beef liver every day. The dog in my avatar is out with the chickens most of the day and has never put two and two together. He is however an egg stealing and eating machine.I have occasionally offered him fresh killed and skinned raw chicken from the flock. He refuses to eat it. It's like he knows

Consistency is the golden rule. Never get lazy or fail to set precedents. Don't break the dog's trust, and likewise offer it your own trust. Make your boundaries known and follow through.

In regards to raw: I switched my dog to dedicated raw almost 2 years ago after battling endless yeast infections even on garin-free $$$ kibble. She's never been healthier. She's not a shedding machine anymore. Her poos are small, regular, and break down quickly. She doesn't burn the grass. No need to take her to the vet- if something is wrong it's obvious. No 'mysterious' symptoms or constant struggles with this and that. To name a few perks. I've also got 3 short-hair cats raised on raw. They have an incredible 'wild' look about them with their plush, pristine winter coats and thick fluffy tails right now. You won't see a coat like that on a kibble-fed cat. No barfing. No ear goop. No eye boogers. No bad breath. No dental issues. Plus when they catch something and bring it in? They EAT IT rather than leave it on the kitchen flood :D

Kibble is like eating dry cheerios every night for dinner year after year. It's just no good.

Oh, and my dog is an avid hunter. She was born to track, chase, catch, and kill small furry things. We go hunting regularly- I give her an outlet. What she catches helps feed her and the cats. She's great with the birds, rabbits, cats, and goats, I'd leave her with them unattended for a week without thinking twice. If your'e really worried, get a breed with a reputation for higher intelligence/more awareness. A shepherding breed has the drive to lear what belongs and what doesn't, how we are supposed to do things, what the routine is, and can make excellent guardians of your animals. Just give them the physical and mental stimulation they need. A bored dog starts thinking of new ways to entertain itself...

Any breed has great potential, but breeds do have different dispositions, habits, drives, and tendencies.

Consistency is the golden rule. Never get lazy or fail to set precedents. Don't break the dog's trust, and likewise offer it your own trust. Make your boundaries known and follow through.

In regards to raw: I switched my dog to dedicated raw almost 2 years ago after battling endless yeast infections even on garin-free $$$ kibble. She's never been healthier. She's not a shedding machine anymore. Her poos are small, regular, and break down quickly. She doesn't burn the grass. No need to take her to the vet- if something is wrong it's obvious. No 'mysterious' symptoms or constant struggles with this and that. To name a few perks. I've also got 3 short-hair cats raised on raw. They have an incredible 'wild' look about them with their plush, pristine winter coats and thick fluffy tails right now. You won't see a coat like that on a kibble-fed cat. No barfing. No ear goop. No eye boogers. No bad breath. No dental issues. Plus when they catch something and bring it in? They EAT IT rather than leave it on the kitchen flood :D

Kibble is like eating dry cheerios every night for dinner year after year. It's just no good.

Oh, and my dog is an avid hunter. She was born to track, chase, catch, and kill small furry things. We go hunting regularly- I give her an outlet. What she catches helps feed her and the cats. She's great with the birds, rabbits, cats, and goats, I'd leave her with them unattended for a week without thinking twice. If your'e really worried, get a breed with a reputation for higher intelligence/more awareness. A shepherding breed has the drive to lear what belongs and what doesn't, how we are supposed to do things, what the routine is, and can make excellent guardians of your animals. Just give them the physical and mental stimulation they need. A bored dog starts thinking of new ways to entertain itself...

Any breed has great potential, but breeds do have different dispositions, habits, drives, and tendencies.
Thank you.

I have 5 dogs, all but 1 is trained for the show ring and all are obedience trained by me so doing the training isn't really an issue. I was mainly looking for tips for that type of training.
All of my dogs were raw fed before we moved to Germany, the only reason I am not feeding raw now is because of the cost here. I was paying $400+ a month to feed all of my dogs.
The parent breed of my breed is the Giant German Spitz(all we did was change the name during WWI), they were one of the original all around farm dogs here before being brought to the states. I just need to unlock the potential that's already in my fuzz butts.

Back
Top Bottom