Dog Troubles

Emily Piveronas

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2017
Okay we have an Anatolian Shepard (dog bred in Turkey to guard cattle). She is 1 year old and kills my chickens every chance she gets! I know nothing about training dogs, what can I do to keep her from killing my girls?

I would ask on BackyardHerds.com (BYC's sister site). There is a whole forum there dedicated to livestock guardian dogs. I do know that at a year old your dog is far too young to be expected to guard the chickens. I also know if there isn't enough for them to protect against (if you are keeping her as a livestock guardian) they will find ways to amuse themselves, which includes turning on the very animals they are supposed to be protecting. I'm sorry you're having this trouble. Here's the link to the forum:
https://www.backyardherds.com/forums/livestock-guardians.75/

She is actually supposed to be my husband's dog, he wanted a big dog.... I really don't need anything to guard the chickens, except from her.
She thinks the chickens are her personal toys. Now my flick is dwindling.

Can you put a leash on her? If yes, then train her to leash away from chickens. For a while you will have to keep her away from the chickens. She is not bonded to them, nor is that essential in the end.

What are your thoughts on using electrified poultry netting?

My chickens do not have electricity but I could run a cord to them. I will have to look up leasing and see what it is. I have not ever had any reason to train a dog.

My chickens do not have electricity but I could run a cord to them. I will have to look up leasing and see what it is. I have not ever had any reason to train a dog.

You have a reason to train a dog now. Owing to breed involved, I am assuming you have several acres. Am I correct on that?

You can power with fence charger attached to side of house. Look into electrical fencing setups. Also look into threads involving Howard E here on this site. Somewhere I think he get into details on how fences actually work and how they are setup.

The leash involves a collar and rope of some sort connected to collar so you can physically retrain dog and signal to him in a physical manner that reinforces verbal commands. A genuine dog trainer is better for details on that.

I keep dogs around chickens but use methods that are not widely used as my dogs a multipurpose complicating process,

Fact is in a situation like this there is only one solution Either the chickens have to be penned up or the dog as obviously both out is not working ... IMHO anything short of this is only delaying the inevitable .

Simple fact is some animals can NOT co exist ! Chickens may not like living in a run but I'm sure they would prefer that to being eaten alive

We had the sweetest outdoor pup, she was German Shepherd/Belgian Malinois/Great Pyrenees/ and something else. We had to rehome her because she attacked one chicken, and ate another. We loved ya Charlie girl!:hit

Back
Top Bottom