Dog vs. Chicken.... 2.0

erin175

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
So here's a new one! My Labradors and chickens get along swimmingly! Yay!!! However, the labradors find chicken poo to be their new favorite delicacy. My chickens free-range in my yard once or twice a week, and the dogs follow them around cleaning up. While this is extremely gross (albeit fairly common dog behavior...) I really don't give a, well, you know. But does this pose a health risk to my dogs?

So here's a new one! My Labradors and chickens get along swimmingly! Yay!!! However, the labradors find chicken poo to be their new favorite delicacy. My chickens free-range in my yard once or twice a week, and the dogs follow them around cleaning up. While this is extremely gross (albeit fairly common dog behavior...) I really don't give a, well, you know. But does this pose a health risk to my dogs?

I don't know if it's a health risk but every dog I've had eats it. Yuck!
sickbyc.gif

yes your dog eatibg chicken waste can be a health risk. to what severety I am not qualified to determine how much. my advice is to discpiline your dog to not eat it.
although given my neighbors logic "nothing has died yet," im sure its ok if you like feces infused dog kisses.

yes your dog eatibg chicken waste can be a health risk. to what severety I am not qualified to determine how much. my advice is to discpiline your dog to not eat it.
although given my neighbors logic "nothing has died yet," im sure its ok if you like feces infused dog kisses.
lau.gif

Maybe it because its like puppy poo!

Adult dogs like young puppy poo...
sickbyc.gif

here is an analogy to my point.

when Constantine devised to change the roman empire from a pagan polytheistic empire to a god fearing monotheistic empire he abolished the use of concrete which was used to build roads, the key to happy and stable empire; and the use of indoor plumbing was banned. leaving humanity to shovel their feces out the window to later walk in during their daily routine which included the transporatin of food. for 800 years the western world lived in the dark ages. stagnation. all because they were up to there ears in human waste and couldnt move about because the roads were in disrepair.

of course china has survived famines with reclaiming waste to fertilize fields and today we even buy products based out of our sewage plants but that all goes through a process of sterilization.

point is dogs are stinky, messy and a nuisance. end of rant :)

I don't get many face-licks from my dogs, and I certainly don't have to the time or patience to "discpiline" them not to eat it. I'll have to bring up with the vet next time we're in there... And if I got rid of everything in my life that is stinky, messy and a nuisance, I'd have a pretty lonely life! (certainly wouldn't need a CHICKEN forum!!)

I don't get many face-licks from my dogs, and I certainly don't have to the time or patience to "discpiline" them not to eat it. I'll have to bring up with the vet next time we're in there... And if I got rid of everything in my life that is stinky, messy and a nuisance, I'd have a pretty lonely life! (certainly wouldn't need a CHICKEN forum!!)
We have a 3 1/2 month old pup. He likes the "treasures" he finds in the chicken coop, too. Licking of any kind is strongly discouraged. We have friends that come over every Wed. night to play cards. The husband loves to play with pup. He lets the pup lick his face. Yes, he's aware of the pup's eating habits...
sickbyc.gif
Honestly, I don't think it's going to hurt your dog if chicken poop is only, uh.... supplementing its diet. When we first got our pup he was eating his own feces. I asked the vet about it and she said, "Yeah, dogs are notorious for eating other animals' poop, and sometimes their own." She didn't seem the least bit concerned. You'd have to be out there every second with the dog, I think, to keep it from cleaning up your yard.

PS - I like having my stinky, messy, nuisancey, dog. We had to put our last one down in June, and didn't get another until Jan. 31. That's the longest I've ever been without a dog in my entire life.

Back
Top Bottom