Dog "wheezing" and "hacking"?

My little dog started making those noises last year. She's been diagnosed with early stage congestive heart. I personally would get your dog in for a check up to rule out heart problems if it continues. When mine had kennel cough it was constant coughing for 2 weeks before they got better.

Alright, I just put the symptoms together and may be able to rule out kennel cough.
He isn’t coughing constantly, and when he does it seems like he’s trying to cough something up, he honks, then hacks sometimes spitting up. I’ll see if I can upload a video since I’ll have better service.
He also ate a whole baguette the other day when we left grocery’s in the car, 🙄😝 so the diarrhea could be totally unrelated.
I’m gonna keep tabs on it and keep this thread updated. Thanks so much for all the helpful info! If the hacking continues we’ll take him to the vet when we get back. For now, I’ll be following this protocol for his diarrhea. I’ve used it before and it works like charm.

Can you put your hand in his mouth? My frenchie had a square piece of a treat, about 1.5 inches by 1 inch stuck in her throat and did the same, after half a day of hacking and spitting and coughing, I shoved 2 fingers way down her throat, felt it and managed to get it out.

Can you put your hand in his mouth? My frenchie had a square piece of a treat, about 1.5 inches by 1 inch stuck in her throat and did the same, after half a day of hacking and spitting and coughing, I shoved 2 fingers way down her throat, felt it and managed to get it out.
I could probably get my hand down his throat. Definitely a few fingers. He would hate it but it’s worth a shot. Seems like they’re exhibiting the same behavior.
Once we get to our destination I may have to dive in. Thanks for this post, it’s ver reassuring. :)

But of course, after doing more digging I’ve got more info that again, points to kennel cough.
See below that I read in a Dogs Naturally article.
647444F3-F74E-4BCC-95A1-41C28040977B.jpeg

The above symptoms are very similar to what Comet is going through. Just about the coughing though, none of the symptoms other then that. He still acts perfectly normal eating, drinking, activity wise.
We went to the beach last weekend with a ton of other dogs, he must have got it there since we haven’t been anywhere else. I may have to contact the crown and tell them to watch for symptoms in their dogs.

I’m gonna pick up all of the suggested herbs that I can at the store today, and start adding them to Comet and Embers food tonight. Hopefully boosting Comets immune system to help him fight it, and boosting Embers to help protect her from it. See article with suggested herbs below.
https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/bordetella-does-your-dog-really-need-the-kennel-cough-vaccine/
I’ll try to get Drosera as well since I think that’s the most closely related one, though I’ll check for pain when he coughs next.

Last edited:
Just tried this when we got out of the car. I couldn’t feel anything sadly. :(

Back
Top Bottom