Dogo Argentino - Oh what has my DH done? pic post 16

jenjscott

Mosquito Beach Poultry
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Southeast Arkansas
My DH went to visit a friend of his in Hot Springs and came home with an eight week old dogo argentino. I've read about them now I want to hear input from anyone who has actually had one.

Last edited:
They where breed for big game hunting so that would be a red flag for me....
Its a large powerfull breed that needs alot of work to make it a all around good dog....Socialize it alot,take it with you everywhere so it gets alot of human contact....

My rule of thumb is to research the breed before I even bring a dog home,that way I know if they will fit in around here....
With all breeds like that,never use hitting as a form of discipline.But you do have to be the pack leader or the dog will take the roll.
Also get it fixed....

Last edited:
I have an accquaintance who raises them. I haven't research the breed in detail, but they tend to be on the more aggressive side. I would put a lot of effort into training them, and be proactive in seperating livestock.

My friend had one. He was a great dog, but she took him everywhere with her. She was a groomer so she took him to work a lot. socialize, socialize, sociallize, and get him used to being crated early. He will probably spend a bit of time crated or kenneled as an adult, may as well get used to it early on. Yes, they kill stuff, it is what they were bred for. They have really strong jaws, and when they nibble on a chair leg, you need a new chair. They are BIG when they grow up, Bigger than you think. Heavy, strong, and need direction. If I had one, I think I would just keep it on lead a lot.

Back
Top Bottom