dogs and chickens

My lab herds my chickens and duck home, if they get to far! But turn your back on her and she will sneak into the coop, and eat every egg in there! Last night she got in and ate every egg my broody hen was setting on, 13 in all,with about 8-10 days to go, I'm so mad and sick to my stomach! I led her back in the coop, and let the momma hen peck her nose for a spell! I doubt she learned her lesson!!! She has been running to the bathroom if you know what I mean! Stupid egg sucking dog!

Maybe she only herds them back so they can lay more eggs for her to eat!
"Get back here! I'm hungry!"

My lab herds my chickens and duck home, if they get to far! But turn your back on her and she will sneak into the coop, and eat every egg in there! Last night she got in and ate every egg my broody hen was setting on, 13 in all,with about 8-10 days to go, I'm so mad and sick to my stomach! I led her back in the coop, and let the momma hen peck her nose for a spell! I doubt she learned her lesson!!! She has been running to the bathroom if you know what I mean! Stupid egg sucking dog!

In the beginning, not too well, but now, they do just great. If I can get 4 different dogs, all different breeds and sizes to leave chickens alone, there is hope for many out there, lol! Our neighbors have lots of chickens. Before we got ours, if those chickens got into our yard, they were as good as dead. When we got our chickens, all of my dogs were fascinated by them, and not in a good way. Then, once the newness wore off, and little reminders were given by mom, me, I was down to 2 dogs that were still very interested. After alot of consistant work, and the ever so lovely, "leave it" command, all the dogs can be out with the chickens, and could care less. They too are more interested in the "gifts" the chickens leave behind, rather than the chickens them selves.
sickbyc.gif
They won't even go after my neighbors chickens that sneak over now. Now, I would never leave my dogs out with the chickens with out me. I could probably do so with two of mine, but I choose not to risk it. The one I have to worry about the most is my Shih Tzu/ Poodle mix. She loves to chase anything! She's not out to kill, but the poor chickens don't know that! My other dogs are Maltese/ Doxie (she could really care less out of all of them), Pit/Greyhound/??? ( she is extremely good and could really care less too) and my Pit/Shepherd/Akita/ ?(she is very good too, under supervision)

This is my Pit/Greyhound/everything else mix, Lyv, hanging out with some of the girls:

Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of the others right now.

With our two Belgian Sheepdogs we started out showing the eleven year old male the chicks in the incubator box. He was only mildly interested. Later when the chicks were older, and the box moved to the inside of their first coop, the chicks got use to the noise of the dogs going in and out of the house barking. Once when the chicks were out of the box and loose in the coop they didn't seem to mind the dog noise. Now they are quite content to be with the dogs on the lawn. They pay little attention to each other.
Our fifteen year old female does not like anything in her face, snarled at one of the RR that got to close, she lost a feather, no damage, lesson learned.

Our Isabella (heinz 57 mutt) is obsessed with trying to play with the chickens! She is constantly taking them sticks and balls for fetch. Bless her heart! She is cute as a button but not the smartest pup at the dog park! If she gets a bit too rough, the girls are quick to give her a peck in the nose!

When we bought the chicks, we kept them in Anthony's (he is our lab mix) kennel. He rarely uses it, but he eats in there and it is his 'safe place'. We realized later this was probably a huge mistake; putting all of these strange creatures in his spot, next to his food. We figured he'd want to destroy them for sure.
So, when the time came to free range them we really worried over it. We discussed, we planned, we plotted for the best way to ensure Anthony knew he was not allowed to eat the chickens. So we opened the gate, and......he doesn't bother them at all! All of that worrying was for nothing, he loves them :)

Back
Top Bottom