Dogs and the Value of my Chickens

Mamasea

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2018
This happened two hours ago and I'm still a little shaken...

I noticed a pit bull and German Shepard with collars wandering our yard this morning. I didn't worry much because the chickens were pinned up in what I thought was pretty predator proof barn/fence. 10 minutes later, I look out and the two dogs have killed and are killing my chickens. I run out and try to chase them away. My dad happened to stop and helped me get the dogs corralled in to a spot in the barn until the dog warden came. I made a quick Facebook post with pictures of the dogs to inform whoever they belong to to come get them.

The dog warden got there and was loading the dogs when the owner pulls in. The sheriff asked if I wanted to press charges. He said something about "restitution".... I was so shaken holding my dead chickens I didn't know what to say.... the dog owner and his dad told me they would pay for the chickens and damage.

My question is, how do I figure up the worth of my chickens?? I raised them from babies. I have fed them to lay eggs so I'm out all of the money I spent feeding them... they were barely a year old. And it's probably wrong, but I was very attached to them... they all had names. I had 15 and 3 are dead, one may need put down. Two were orphingtons and one was a barred rock. The blue amerauca is injured.

I can probably figure the cost of damage to my fence easily... but my sweet chickens?! What would you do??

I would go no less than $30 each, as well as cost for replacing (not mending) the fence.

You want the dog owners to feel it in their wallet, otherwise they will not take it seriously... this is just from experience... from both sides.... I had a family member who's dog killed a neighbor's chickens and it was the high cost of replacing the hens that made it clear that the dogs roaming was not an option.

Why on earth would it be wrong to be attached to your animals? Maybe they're there to make or save you a few dollars, but they're still living creatures that you raised from babies, and you definitely didn't want them to die like that.

Going value for a laying pullet around here is about fifteen-twenty dollars. If the Ameraucana's not an Easter Egger, then her market value is probably about forty dollars, but I'd take her to a veterinarian and have them pay vet bills instead. I hope she recovers.

Find out how much it would be to get new chickens of the exact breed, gender, quality and approximate age as your birds were. If your birds were point of lay pullets (16 weeks - 8 months) then that's a different cost than a chick or a 3 year old hen and more expensive. Birds from a breeder are more expensive than hatchery stock. If you can't find a place to order what got killed then you can add up the cost of chicks, feed, and daily labor put into caring for their basic needs and make that your price. Include shipping costs if there are any.

Take the injured one to a vet and make them pay for the visit - these sound more like pets, not food, and should be treated as such. Not to mention you have a right to try to keep your animals alive, not just replace them.

People need to keep track of their animals. It's not your responsibility to undo the damage done - it's theirs.

Get a quote from the most expensive hatchery or breeder you can find. And definitely press charges. Dogs who kill or harass livestock are a REAL problem, and the ticket or citation makes the owners take the issue more seriously.

I called the county animal control on a neighbor dog after the second time is chased my horses, biting one. My state takes livestock harassment Very Seriously, and now so does my neighbor.

Sorry for your loss.

Going rate at Murray McMurray hatchery for started pullets is 24.99 per Orpington. They didn’t have the barred rock listed but I’d say around the same price.
That and the cost of shipping.
Time delay, hassle of introducing new birds and I might add - All your other birds will likely stop laying for some time due to the stress of the attack.
I once had a beagle get into a pen with a rooster and 12 hens. He didn't kill any but pulled feathers, worried and stressed them to the point that I got 2 eggs that day, and not another egg for 2 months from 12 actively laying hens and the birds wouldn't come out of the coop for almost a week.

Unfortunately, you can't charge for the loss of future eggs. But definately go with the cost of a replacement Point of Lay bird or more. Where your birds from a breeder? if so I think they are worth more than a hatchery point of lay bird, so I would tack on another $5 per bird minimum. That would be $30 per bird, for 4 birds is $120 for the chickens. Then fence costs.

Back
Top Bottom