Dogs are the worst predator, I swear Amazing update!

Pics
Against all odds, my two roosters were waiting outside the run this morning when I went out to check on my chickens and feed them! Not a scratch on them. They don't even appear to have any frostbite from being outside in 15F temps.

This is a perfect example why I have posted replies on many threads on this forum about missing chickens after a predator attack not to give up on the chickens surviving even though they haven't turned up after many hours of searching. Which is what I did until sundown last night, slipping and sliding in the snow searching every nook and cranny on eight acres surrounding my dwellings.

They must have led those dogs a merry chase, probably double teaming them so the dogs couldn't focus on killing one of them. But where they managed to hole up after the attack is going to probably remain a mystery.

Here are the amazing miracle roos this morning in all their glory! View attachment 1680173

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G !!!! :love :wee :celebrate

@azygous i sure hope you’re making those boys something extra special for brunch today!
That is a very good suggestion! But these boys, especially the older Strawberry, will just let the girls eat all their share! Toots is learning to be a selfless roo, but he's not quite there yet. But now he has the chance to grow into it!

We have no "animal control" here. The HOA here has warned these people for ten years, but it hasn't helped the matter. The dogs will, however, be going to Denver, the big city, to live with their son. This isn't because of my chickens being attacked. This plan had already been set. It's just too late to help my roosters, but may spare my flock in the future. Although, these aren't the only dogs allowed to run amok. I first called another neighbor whose dogs had been up here numerous times, but he finally has taken steps to confine them via shock collars.

If these people hadn't agreed readily to restitution, my only recourse would be to involve my local game warden. He would have dealt with the people. This here is the wild west, in case you guys aren't familiar with Colorado. Ultimately, dog owners are aware that roaming dogs here will be shot by livestock owners protecting their stock. If these dogs come back before they move to Denver, they will be shot. With 12 gauge heavy field loads, not the rubber rounds I use on bobcats and bears. Unfortunately, then everyone loses and grieves.
Every county has an animal agent or a sheriff to report to. Even if there is no real animal control. State laws against roaming damaging animals harassing and killing livestock. Country here too. I get it on record.

So glad for you!:ya Those are some awesome Roo’s. I’d still try to persuade the neighbor to go in on a fence with you or something, because even though your guys are ok, the dogs behavior and being on your property harassing your livestock isn’t. (This is where the chickens are livestock, not pets laws and regulations can be used to your advantage!)

Maybe you should link this to that 'what use is a rooster' thread.;)
:goodpost: My thoughts exactly! They might not have “nobly sacrificed their lives to protect their hens” or “attacked and triumphed over the vicious dogs by killing them” (exaggeration for effect!) but they clearly managed to distract, lead off, and evade the predators!
Roos 1 : Dogs 0. :yesss:

@HuffleClaw I'm so sorry about your precious little Jake. We grieve together.

And thank you all for the hugs and emotional support. I needed you guys right now.

The dog owners did agree to pay for the roosters. They happen to be Crested Cream Legbars, so they aren't getting off cheaply.

The thing that gets me is where I live we all have a huge buffer around our dwellings of at least 35 acres and these dogs came across a wide canyon, traversing at least 100 acres to get to my chickens, and killed my roosters right outside their run. Some things in life just make no sense. And adjacent to my acreage are two good neighbors with numerous dogs that are never allowed to run wild, mainly because they love their dogs and would rather they not get eaten by a lion or torn apart by a bear.

I am just reading through the thread now so idk what the amazing update is yet.

I had problems this fall with one dog attack. I would need to go back and check but I believe I lost 7 chickens, a turkey jake, and a muscovy hen. I also had my BA rooster get mauled but he made an excellent recovery. The Jake did not die instantly, he stayed alive for a day afterwards but his intestines were leaking from a puncture wound and his breast bone was broken so yeah, no recovery for him unfortunately. The rooster and jake distracted the dogs well, the black feathers from the BA were going from the front of my driveway to the burn pile in my woods and back around to the back porch so he somehow covered around 20 acres himself while running from the dogs.

Dogs can travel very far. A few of ours ran off a week or two ago and covered well over 1000 acres. They went through a swamp during a snowstorm, around a lake and running rivers, down the side of the highway, and then came back. They chased a deer off of our property, I hate it when they run off, our first dog got hit by a car because she ran after a deer.

Back
Top Bottom