Dogs, ducks, and a guardian goose?

BAT; Behavior Aversion Training
Basically clicker treat training.

Stim collar can be good, much harder to do properly and your best to hire a professional to get you started.

Has your dog completed Control off Leash training?

How long will your dog do a Drop Stay?

You can train your dog to do anything, but it takes time and consistency.

Here's my Aussie with the ducklings. He is also an agility champion, but I have not yet trained him to herd. Both of our dogs are trained to not harass the ducks.
My dog won't snuggle but just kinda avoids touching them. I tryed to get him to be nice and snuggle with them ut what is a plaful whap to him (130 lbs.) is fatal for a newborn. So, it is easier to make a blanket statement and just say no.

Rose was my first dog as a kid and my mom did most of the training with what little time she had.

She is a runner, not too long ago she came back after we couldn't find her and she was shot up like swiss cheese! The vets said they could stick their fingers up a bullet hole in her mouth and feel the back of her eyeball. We're lucky she made it, but long story short about a week after her recovery she got out again and ran til she got tired and thirsty. She didn't really learn any lesson from getting shot🤦

I think I'm going to try a little basic obedience training and then move up to the holding still and behaving with ducks. I really wish I would've been mature enough to train her myself when she was a puppy, I feel like a lot of this rebellious behavior comes from not having anything positive to put all that athletic ability and critical thinking into☹️

I know that the problem is not really with her it's got more to do with the fact that she is so smart and we didn't take advantage of those puppy years. I'm gonna do my best to train an old dog some new tricks

I have had GSDs and retrievers. I briefly fostered a coon hound. Running was just in its nature, and it was an escape artist. I couldn't believe the narrow spaces it could squeeze through and under. Despite professional training, Bubba's brain was controlled by his nose. Broke my heart the last time I watched him run, ignoring calling. Luckily a neighour was able to catch him. Hopefully he was adopted by someone who could allow this need to run in a safe, controlled environment.

Rose was my first dog as a kid and my mom did most of the training with what little time she had.

She is a runner, not too long ago she came back after we couldn't find her and she was shot up like swiss cheese! The vets said they could stick their fingers up a bullet hole in her mouth and feel the back of her eyeball. We're lucky she made it, but long story short about a week after her recovery she got out again and ran til she got tired and thirsty. She didn't really learn any lesson from getting shot🤦

I think I'm going to try a little basic obedience training and then move up to the holding still and behaving with ducks. I really wish I would've been mature enough to train her myself when she was a puppy, I feel like a lot of this rebellious behavior comes from not having anything positive to put all that athletic ability and critical thinking into☹️

I know that the problem is not really with her it's got more to do with the fact that she is so smart and we didn't take advantage of those puppy years. I'm gonna do my best to train an old dog some new tricks
Old dogs CAN learn new tricks! My dog is 10 now, and just last week I taught him to ring a service bell for fun. He loves to train. He thinks it is the best game ever.

I definitely recommend getting a clicker and super delicious treats, if your dog is food motivated.

I would love to be able to play with her while the duck is around, but her one and only favorite toy is a ball and she doesn't like to play with anyone she just likes to throw the ball and catch it herself and bounce it around til she doesn't like it anymore then she murders it😐 so I think I'll go with treats and the clicker.

Now that I'm reading that over again I see a very big resemblance between what she does with the duck and what she used to do to the chickens...she treats them like her ball! She bounces them around (I've seen it before when I go out there to rescue them) and then they squawk and squeak like her favorite kind of ball that she hasn't had in years! I need to play with her!

I'm totally gonna make more time for her now! I've been way too busy and she hasn't had a squeaky ball in a LONG time🤦☹️

I'm totally gonna make more time for her now! I've been way too busy and she hasn't had a squeaky ball in a LONG time🤦☹️
Even good pet owners get busy. When you feel guilty you can focus on changing your actions so you don't have a reason to feel guilty.

May I suggest that ducks/chickens deserve protection from your dog using them as a toy? Birds experience fear and pain just like dogs do. Can you build a top for your duck run so your dog can't get in?

No I was actually going to build them a new pen with really tall walls but then that happened. She won't have an opportunity to hurt them again but I still want to train her partly because she is a runner, I don't want her playing with someone elses ducks and then getting shot.

I still plan on getting new ducks and training her not to mess with them and also doing things a little different with them as well. The chickens actually like to be around her now 🤣 they dust bathe in the holes she has dug and hang out with her. The ducks were new and she hadn't really been trained with them but I won't be making that mistake again

IBroke my heart the last time I watched him run, ignoring calling.
My Aussies took off after a black bear whilst hiking up a logging road last summer.

I was really happy to have put their stim collars on before we left the vehicle.

We were both calling them while I fiddled with the buttons and the power level. Stim level varies from dog to dog and one needs very little (normal situation) and the rescue needs just a bit more. 'Tapped' the 'puppy' with the moderate stim and then cranked it up to 40 and tapped the rescue.
'YIPE!'
'YIPE!'

and two Aussies came running back down the road as fast as they had run up!

The plan that day was to not have them chase deer.

If you ever come across a swath about four feet wide torn through the blackberries, it was most likely a bear!

Never too late to train a dog.
If the dog comes every time, you can forgo the extra long lead until you are doing training for not wandering off.

Clickers are cheap; about $2 at the pet store. The clickers are great because it becomes the reinforcement for the behavior; the instant the behavior happens, you click and treat the dog.
Get one of those spiral bracelets that are used for keychains to keep your clicker in your hand, and a treat bag you can attach to your belt loop and your set!

https://www.training-your-dog-and-you.com/Behavior_Adjustment_Training.html

Both of my dogs are ten, and they leaned how to behave around ducks eight months ago. One I have trained from a puppy, and he's definitely a rebel. The other we got as a 18 month old rescue, and he had very little training, and a host of fears that we needed to work through.

Back
Top Bottom