1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dogs got at my roo.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by conchopearl, Apr 15, 2016.

1. conchopearl

conchopearl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2015
    My beautiful cochin roo was attacked a couple days ago by a dog. He is alive and I think is doing ok. but his beautiful buble butt is gone. The dogs got a mouth full of feathers which I think it what saved him. but anyhow he has a bare butt and part of his back. First day I put peroxide on it and then got some of that purple stuff and a spray disinfectant. I put him in a cage right away and brought him in house as the hens were already after him. So am I doing the right thing for him? Should I give him something in his water or food to help him. Any idea how long it may take for his feathers to start to grow back? A lot of questions I have no answer for yet. :) He sure likes to crow a lot and he is in the room I sleep in. lol

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    apple cider vinegar, and yogurt or probiotics, if they were plucked they will grow back within a month, you can speed the process by feeding him a higher protein like 24% so meat bird starter grower, meat bird feed, feather fixer, or soybean meal. Too squelch the crowing you could put a dark thick blanket over the cage at night so any noise and/or light is diminished.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by