Dogs got into my duck pen

They could have sprains more than in their legs trying to escape let us know how they do in some warm water. Hopefully if they are just stiff from being attacked the warm water and floating will help. So glad to hear they have both laid.

Hey so while I was trying to do some research I’ve decided to ask here as well as I have gotten some great advice here, unfortunately today some dogs got into one of my normal sized duck pens, luckily all my call ducks are ok but I only have 2 normal sized ducks left, a gray and a black one, and unfortunately they are both injured

The gray one I’ve cleared feathers off the area and sprayed it with vetricin the other one has basically a hole in her chest, unfortunately I think it either needs to be sewn up or she needs to be put down, very tough decision and I am struggling with it, there are no poultry vets in my area and it’s a big problem everyone complains about, but I could possibly try it myself, also since the photo the gray one has been taken care of a little better with her injury

I also am wondering if dogs tend to come back as I do not want them getting into my other pens, I plan on calling animal control although I don’t know where these dogs are now

Neither of them will walk either, will that change?
I had to put down two beautiful ducks after a dog incident this year - it was devastating

@Cheems how are your ducks doing today?
Hey sorry it took me so long to respond I was very busy but I’ve been spraying their wounds and just gave them a bath, the black one seems to be regaining her strength and movement in both her feet and her wound seems to be a bit better

The gray one I noticed hasn’t been moving her foot at all and I gave them both a bath, and the gray one afterwards started breathing really heavily, I have more pictures and videos of them moving around but I will upload them in a bit since it isn’t working right now for videos?

I’m concerned for the gray duck as she is breathing really heavily and I noticed there was some blood coming out of her nostrils although it looked… dry?

Attachments

• IMG_5274.jpeg
    IMG_5274.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 4
I have more pictures and videos of them moving around but I will upload them in a bit since it isn’t working right now for videos?
BYC has to have videos come from a particular source. There's a list of them if you hit the "media" button. I post mine to my YouTube account, make them public, and then can share that link here via that same button.

She is still breathing pretty heavily this morning, it’s possible a wound is a puncture wound but it isn’t obvious if it is, you can hear some of hear breathing in the first video if you listen closely although ignore my sniffling lol

It was deep enough for her to move her legs but she only moved one, I also don’t think they have been cleaning themselves too well so they got really wet so I dried them afterwards

If you can fill the tub where they can actually float that should help get them to start moving their legs around and swimming.

Maybe my ears but I couldn't hear anything maybe someone else can though. If possible maybe do a video without the water running. They both look alert which is good.

If you can fill the tub where they can actually float that should help get them to start moving their legs around and swimming.

Maybe my ears but I couldn't hear anything maybe someone else can though. If possible maybe do a video without the water running. They both look alert which is good.
Yeah it is hard to hear, and I actually did fill the tub a lot more I just didn’t record that part, that’s when the gray duck started breathing really heavily so I got worried, I’ve got a few videos of her breathing so I can upload those later

I really appreciate the help from everyone a lot and these two little ducks appreciate it even if they don’t know lol

Back
Top Bottom