Dogs got into my duck pen

Cheems

Songster
Apr 10, 2022
Hey so while I was trying to do some research I’ve decided to ask here as well as I have gotten some great advice here, unfortunately today some dogs got into one of my normal sized duck pens, luckily all my call ducks are ok but I only have 2 normal sized ducks left, a gray and a black one, and unfortunately they are both injured

The gray one I’ve cleared feathers off the area and sprayed it with vetricin the other one has basically a hole in her chest, unfortunately I think it either needs to be sewn up or she needs to be put down, very tough decision and I am struggling with it, there are no poultry vets in my area and it’s a big problem everyone complains about, but I could possibly try it myself, also since the photo the gray one has been taken care of a little better with her injury

I also am wondering if dogs tend to come back as I do not want them getting into my other pens, I plan on calling animal control although I don’t know where these dogs are now

Neither of them will walk either, will that change?

Attachments

• IMG_5228.jpeg
    IMG_5228.jpeg
    857.9 KB · Views: 109
@Cheems how are your ducks doing this morning? Sounds like to me you need to do some very important security measures to your pens before these dogs do come back and most likely they will.
Hey, they are still alive and I’m planning on giving them a bath because I’m worried one may be egg bound, they seem to be drinking and reacting to me, so I’m hoping that’s a good sign, and it was just this one pen that had a weak point, I put up a lot of plywood for now for another pen although it might have not been neccisary as my other pens are quite secure, these dogs also happened to attack my neighbors birds and it was devastating for the both of us, no one has seen these dogs again so I’m waiting til I can call animal control

Poor ducks! I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier, What did you end up doing? Please let us know if you need any more assistance.
I ended up cleaning the areas and spraying it with verticyn (if I’m spelling that right) and cleaning them with water, the black ones chest seems a little better

What I’m really wondering is ways to help her if she is egg bound and treat the wounds, I could supply photos if it would help

Photos would be a good idea. Clip the feathers away from the wounds it makes it easier to treat and keeps the feathers from getting stuck in the wound when it's healing.
Yeah I’ve tried to clip as many feathers as possible, we got the egg out of her and she has some energy, it’s also really sweet the gray girl kept pushing my hand away from her sisters wound (these are sisters) the wounds are closing as well

Attachments

• IMG_5257.jpeg
    IMG_5257.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5255.jpeg
    IMG_5255.jpeg
    450.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5254.jpeg
    IMG_5254.jpeg
    443.5 KB · Views: 13
Aww, you are taking such good care of them… They look like lovely ducks🥰!

Not to worry you, but be alert for signs of infection! Dog mouths are notoriously dirty and the risk of an infection or even sepsis is there!

Make sure no dirt is locked inside the wound!

Keep us updated!

Aww, you are taking such good care of them… They look like lovely ducks🥰!

Not to worry you, but be alert for signs of infection! Dog mouths are notoriously dirty and the risk of an infection or even sepsis is there!

Make sure no dirt is locked inside the wound!

Keep us updated!
Thank you so much! Yeah they are wonderful and I’m going to take care of them and treat them for infection, and I’ve been cleaning the wound and I can tell they have more energy already and are cleaning themselves

Back
Top Bottom