Duck Herder
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Aug 17, 2018
southern indiana
My Coop
My Coop
So I have 2 intact male mountain feist (hunting dogs) that are 8 years old. They were kept outside for first 2-3 years and made indoor pets.
They have a doggie door and are crate trained for nighttime but the marking keeps getting worse! :barnie If any item (bag, box, etc) is new, they will hike their leg on it. Dishwasher, cabinets, walls, entertainment center etc are all favorite spots as well. Iā€™ve tried nearly everything that I know of to break them but Iā€™m at my wits end cleaning up after them sometimes 2-3x every day now! Any advice from others is welcomed!

So I have 2 intact male mountain feist (hunting dogs) that are 8 years old. They were kept outside for first 2-3 years and made indoor pets.
They have a doggie door and are crate trained for nighttime but the marking keeps getting worse! :barnie If any item (bag, box, etc) is new, they will hike their leg on it. Dishwasher, cabinets, walls, entertainment center etc are all favorite spots as well. Iā€™ve tried nearly everything that I know of to break them but Iā€™m at my wits end cleaning up after them sometimes 2-3x every day now! Any advice from others is welcomed!
Neutering would stop this pretty quickly. Being intact drives up their need to spray/mark items.

I though that only worked if they were neutered at early ageā€¦.4-6 months (before behavior starts)

Having them neutered this late in their life will probably not make a difference. It's a very low chance and probably not worth the risk.
I am dealing with the same issue with my 5 year old german shorthair pointer. He is an outside-only dog but marks everything and anything out there. Also open to any ideas! I will look into the belly bands, never heard of that before!

Having them neutered this late in their life will probably not make a difference. It's a very low chance and probably not worth the risk.
I am dealing with the same issue with my 5 year old german shorthair pointer. He is an outside-only dog but marks everything and anything out there. Also open to any ideas! I will look into the belly bands, never heard of that before!
Belly bands are great for indoor use because they won't lift their legs and pee when it's on. Then when you let them outside you take it off. Otherwise they won't/can't go properly.

I thought about trying a pee post outside but thatā€™s not where my current problem lies

Belly bands are great for indoor use because they won't lift their legs and pee when it's on. Then when you let them outside you take it off. Otherwise they won't/can't go properly.
Yeah that wouldnā€™t help much with them having doggie doorā€¦ā€¦free range when Iā€™m not home ā˜¹ļø

Back
Top Bottom