Dogs Killing My Chickens!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also does anyone have experience with chickens who've had their backs ripped off? Muscle is exposed. On several of them. Can I treat this? Or do we need to put them out of their misery? What about a dislocated leg? ****...
sad.png

Thanks in advance.
Some of the injuries that a chicken can survive is amazing. I have dealt with several birds that have gruesome injuries. Just a couple days ago I had two hens with gouges from and overzealous teenage roo (The ladies are in aprons now
gig.gif
). I cleaned the wounds as best as I could with soap and water. Then I put antibacterial fairly thick as deep as I could, then replaced the skin. You could cover the wounds with gauze but I did not. You probably should separate them from the flock if possible if not, just keep a close eye to make sure they are eating, drinking and not being picked on. Also scrambled egg is a good meal if they don't seem to want to eat.
So sorry you had to go through that
hugs.gif
I went though a rough pregnancy too with my middle boy, placental abruption and bed rest for 4 months while moving into a new house
hide.gif
. He is 5 now and still giving us a difficult time
barnie.gif
!!!

Some of the injuries that a chicken can survive is amazing.  I have dealt with several birds that have gruesome injuries.  Just a couple days ago I had two hens with gouges from and overzealous teenage roo (The ladies are in aprons now :gig ).   I cleaned the wounds as best as I could with soap and water.  Then I put antibacterial fairly thick as deep as I could, then replaced the skin.  You could cover the wounds with gauze but I did not.  You probably should separate them from the flock if possible if not, just keep a close eye to make sure they are eating, drinking and not being picked on.  Also scrambled egg is a good meal if they don't seem to want to eat.
 So sorry you had to go through that :hugs  I went though a rough pregnancy too with my middle boy, placental abruption and bed rest for 4 months while moving into a new house :oops: .  He is 5 now and still giving us a difficult time :barnie !!!

Thank you! I went out this morning (against all advice) because I saw 2 refugees had returned to camp. They are still really shaken up and wouldn't allow me to catch them, so I decided the best way to get them back into the flock was to release all of them so they can be out together like usual (and hopefully go in together this evening like usual). In the process I went over the injuries.

The rooster, who seemed the worst yesterday is actually up on a perch and moving around very well, I expect he'll be fine.

The hen with the torn open back, I caught another hen picking at her, so I got her settled into a warm place with food and water in our garage, where she'll be alone. Tonight my husband will clean her wounds and apply a big layer or antibiotic salve. I'm glad it's winter and we don't have to worry about flies.

Another hen has either a dislocated or broken wing. I can feel that it's not attached the same way the other one is. I think the muscles are still intact as she's able to hold it up to her body, so I expect her to be disfigured, but OK.

The last is a hen with either a broken or dislocated leg. She's not getting around well at all. When my husband gets home I'll let him decide how to proceed.

I called the dog warden today and told her I'd like to go over our options. She told me yesterday how she likes to operate is if she can get the dog owners to compensate the homeowner for their livestock, she'll waive fees and the citation for them. Obviously this incentive helps farmers recoup their losses and it's a good idea. However the more I got to thinking about it, the more I thought maybe I'd rather see the dog owners get cited then me get $100. She said she had been thinking about it herself and she agrees with me. This is not the first time she's dealt with these 2 dogs and she is also interested in a legal trail in case something happens again. So she is citing them, it's an M-1 offence and will go on their record. There is also a fine of $119 per dog. Then she said she still wants to try to get them to compensate us for our loss(es), so she is going to offer to waive the fees ($35 impound fee + $8 overnight fee for 4 nights BC she won't release them until Monday x 2 dogs = $134) if they agree to pay us (which she will also take, so I never have to see them face-to-face and will remain anonymous) she'll waive that $134. They'll actually save some money if they pay us. If they don't compensate us, they will owe her the full $372 and she will tell them to be prepared to go to civil court over this, where they will incure MANY more fees and it will cost them MUCH more in the long run. Any way you look at it, this is a very expensive mistake for them. But honestly, I was SO shaken up yesterday, and after putting in HOURS with the dog warden and tracking down chickens, I feel like they deserve it...

I asked her about my rights if the dogs were to return to our property and she said we have every right to destroy the animals. She actually said I went above and beyond what she would consider reasonable yesterday, especially in my condition. So next time will be their last time. She also said if I were to miss and just injure the dogs, that even though Ohio Revised Code says I'm not liable that a good attorney could work it up to be an animal cruelty case, so to be sure it's a fatal shot.

TaraBellaBirds, doesn't bed rest SUCK? I was put on it at 8 weeks (yes, EIGHT weeks) with our 2nd (our first passed away at 3 months old due to prematurity related complications), I was able to carry until 37 weeks with him, but I needed a cerclage, progesterone injections and 7 long months of bed rest. This time around we've done the cerclage and injections, but were hoping to avoid strict bed rest. Then they diagnosed me with previa. It's the perfect storm. :( Hoping and praying for the best. Bed rest is NOT easy with a 2.5 year old!

Thank you! I went out this morning (against all advice) because I saw 2 refugees had returned to camp. They are still really shaken up and wouldn't allow me to catch them, so I decided the best way to get them back into the flock was to release all of them so they can be out together like usual (and hopefully go in together this evening like usual). In the process I went over the injuries.

The rooster, who seemed the worst yesterday is actually up on a perch and moving around very well, I expect he'll be fine.

The hen with the torn open back, I caught another hen picking at her, so I got her settled into a warm place with food and water in our garage, where she'll be alone. Tonight my husband will clean her wounds and apply a big layer or antibiotic salve. I'm glad it's winter and we don't have to worry about flies.

Another hen has either a dislocated or broken wing. I can feel that it's not attached the same way the other one is. I think the muscles are still intact as she's able to hold it up to her body, so I expect her to be disfigured, but OK.

The last is a hen with either a broken or dislocated leg. She's not getting around well at all. When my husband gets home I'll let him decide how to proceed.

I called the dog warden today and told her I'd like to go over our options. She told me yesterday how she likes to operate is if she can get the dog owners to compensate the homeowner for their livestock, she'll waive fees and the citation for them. Obviously this incentive helps farmers recoup their losses and it's a good idea. However the more I got to thinking about it, the more I thought maybe I'd rather see the dog owners get cited then me get $100. She said she had been thinking about it herself and she agrees with me. This is not the first time she's dealt with these 2 dogs and she is also interested in a legal trail in case something happens again. So she is citing them, it's an M-1 offence and will go on their record. There is also a fine of $119 per dog. Then she said she still wants to try to get them to compensate us for our loss(es), so she is going to offer to waive the fees ($35 impound fee + $8 overnight fee for 4 nights BC she won't release them until Monday x 2 dogs = $134) if they agree to pay us (which she will also take, so I never have to see them face-to-face and will remain anonymous) she'll waive that $134. They'll actually save some money if they pay us. If they don't compensate us, they will owe her the full $372 and she will tell them to be prepared to go to civil court over this, where they will incure MANY more fees and it will cost them MUCH more in the long run. Any way you look at it, this is a very expensive mistake for them. But honestly, I was SO shaken up yesterday, and after putting in HOURS with the dog warden and tracking down chickens, I feel like they deserve it...

I asked her about my rights if the dogs were to return to our property and she said we have every right to destroy the animals. She actually said I went above and beyond what she would consider reasonable yesterday, especially in my condition. So next time will be their last time. She also said if I were to miss and just injure the dogs, that even though Ohio Revised Code says I'm not liable that a good attorney could work it up to be an animal cruelty case, so to be sure it's a fatal shot.

TaraBellaBirds, doesn't bed rest SUCK? I was put on it at 8 weeks (yes, EIGHT weeks) with our 2nd (our first passed away at 3 months old due to prematurity related complications), I was able to carry until 37 weeks with him, but I needed a cerclage, progesterone injections and 7 long months of bed rest. This time around we've done the cerclage and injections, but were hoping to avoid strict bed rest. Then they diagnosed me with previa. It's the perfect storm.
sad.png
Hoping and praying for the best. Bed rest is NOT easy with a 2.5 year old!
Good lord hon I am so sorry you have to go through all of this!
hugs.gif
Hopefully the owners learn their lesson.

Brando don't let them make you feel bad. Everyone has different values when it comes to animals, etc. Plus the reservation IS different from any other place in America. One of my attorney's grew up on the rez and she has stories that make me wonder if she was in America at the time or not. Totally not like any other place.

Anyway, I'm from WY. Where they'll kill your dog and then make you pay for the animal your dog killed/chased. Anyone who values their pet would make sure they were not able to get loose and kill livestock at will. If they don't care about their pet enough to keep them locked up that really isn't your fault. Shoot the dogs, save your chickens and good luck to you!

And NM is different. People often don't understand how rural it is there, where you can drive hours in any direction and not find a town........

Update - we just lost the girl who had the horrible back injuries yesterday. I thought she was going to pull through, but I noticed a really bad stench coming off her & figured it was infection. She was as comfortable as can be and warm when she passed. :( So of the 4 that were maimed, we lost 3. making the total deaths 4. Which could've been much worse... The other maimed girl seems to have bounced back. She has a limp, and is slow to get around, but she's eating and drinking. Egg production has still not restarted, I suspect it's because pretty much all of the girls are missing large patches of feathers (most have no tail feathers at all, and some have bald wings and/or backs), I would guess while those are growing back in, they will be too stressed to lay?

The dog owners paid all the fees, took their citation(s) and left $100 for us. So I feel pretty good about that. Most of the hens that were missing came back, so he paid to replace some hens that in fact did not die. I started to feel bad about that, then I remembered the insane amount of stress that day put on me, and the fact that we're 3 weeks out and have gotten maybe 4 eggs since then... The money we make from their eggs pays for their food, so we are out a bit if you look at it that way. My egg customers may even jump ship on me. UGH

my little brothers beloved hound keeps killing my chickens and so we tied him up every time we let them out and he kept getting lose, he has killed over 30 chickens and my brother wont let us git rid of him. Have any ideas on how to keep him form getting lose? or what to put him in we tried the horse trailer but then he wont quit barking.

my little brothers beloved hound keeps killing my chickens and so we tied him up every time we let them out and he kept getting lose, he has killed over 30 chickens and my brother wont let us git rid of him. Have any ideas on how to keep him form getting lose? or what to put him in we tried the horse trailer but then he wont quit barking. 

Every time the dog kills a chicken sneak it into your little brother's bed. lol You could put a muzzle on the dog for the barking. Could put up an electric fence around an area for your birds... or for the dog. -Probably a good idea, dogs hate electricity. A heavy duty chain and heavy duty collar and a tree might hold him. Or just don't let the chickens out. You just have to keep them seperate. I have the same problem.

Boy, this thread proves that this country has lost its mind. BrandoMan you were/are on the right track. I hope your dog and neighbor problems have been solved. You don't have any reason whatsoever to feel bad for peppering a dog's backside!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom