Dogs mating, Thanks MIL!

HobokenChickenEmergency

Songster
10 Years
Mar 18, 2009
Evansville
My dh's parents gave us their 10 yr old NEUTERED dog a couple weeks ago. As I was loading the dishwasher just now, I happened to look out the window. He's locked together with our female coonhound!

So my questions are:

1) How likely is it that she's going to get pregnant? As I said, the other dog is 10 and supposedly neutered.

2) Do neutered dogs even WANT to mate? I thought it took the urge away!

MIL's dog, Smokey, is a bird dog of uncertain lineage. MIL had him since he was a puppy, and he's never, ever been around ladies.

My guess is

If you can't see testicles, he's probably a cryptorchid (where the testes are retained in the abdomen).
In this situation, he would still have a normal sex drive and testosterone level, but he would unable to get a female pregnant.

It's actually a very common disorder in dogs (and people, horses, sheep, etc.). Where did your in-laws get him? That could further answer the question.

Bottom line, if you can't see his testicles, you are probably safe from pregnancy.

If it's neutered, I don't think it could "hook", the hormones are not there. It should be pretty obvious if it was neutered, if it has testicles it is not neutered. If it doesn't have testicles, then something is really off. I would say there is a high percentage of her getting preg if he isn't neutered.

Yes, you can see them. That stuck me as odd from the start, because I've had neutered dogs before. Theirs were a lot less obvious. His are small, but they're visible.

I have no idea where she got him from. Probably some backyard breeder.

If you can see his testicles, he's not a cryptorchid and he's obviously not neutered. Take him to the vet and get that fixed!!
tongue.png

I believe if he was mature when he got fixed then he could still have the urge to mate. However if they were stuck together He's probably not fixed....
hmm.png
Expect puppies

My dd6 just came in and informed me that "The dogs aren't tangled up anymore."

He'll have to stay in lock down until I can get him into the vet.

Maybe I'll be lucky, and she won't take. I should have known something was up. This dog is TERRIFIED of thunderstorms but he whined to be let out, even with the thunder rumbling.

I know if a dog is unilateral crypto they CAN and WILL produce offspring - not sure if it is the same if they are hidden in the abdomin on both sides. That being said - you can take your female in for the mismate shot. It is NOT good for reproduction down the road though, she may not be able to have a litter after this if it is aborted. If you don't plan to ever breed her it won't do any harm and it will prevent the conception of this unwanted litter. I agree your MIL must have been confused, he sounds intact to me. But, I have also heard of males being neutered that will still mate - they just can't actually fertilize eggs and produce young because the testes have been removed and there is no sperm. This generally is with older males though that have either mated and been bred before - they have some experience and know what all the smells and the females behavior means. If it looks like his testes are small but there, you may have to check. Sometimes on older neutered males the skin after the "procedure' remains loose and looks like little sacs are still there even though the testes have been removed. If he actually has been neutered as long as it has been a few week since the procedure he should not be able to impregnate your female. Hope this helps, and doesn't confuse you more. Good luck and hope he really is fixed and you MIL is NOT confused about her dogs!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom