Dogs running lose

yoker

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
HI all
I would just like your opinons on whether you think dogs should be aloud to rome (sp?) the neighbour hood.
PLEASE don't start a major argument about this I just want some thoughts on the subject.
I personally think that dogs should be kept in your yard.
P.S. this is in the country

Thats what I thought
Someone in my neighbour hood lets their dog run around all the time and they don't think there is anything wrong with it.

Dogs allowed to roam will follow canine instincts, pack up, and chase/kill. Since they are far removed from wolf survival hunting methods, they will engage in killing sprees. I've had to deal with this many times over the years with "city-folk" moving to the country and releasing packs of dogs on the local environment/wildlife with devastating results. When they go after livestock, then the farmers get riled up. I have found torn apart foxes and possums from dogpacks and seen the dogs chasing deer from my hunting stands. A neighbor with a roving beagle wiped out the rabbits for three years by destroying the nests in the spring. Due to my experiences, I have little sympathy for the dog owners that allow unfettered roaming. (I've owned dogs too) A friend with sheep showed me his fenceposts with dozens of dog collars he collected from "varmint" shooting.

Dogs allowed to roam will follow canine instincts, pack up, and chase/kill. Since they are far removed from wolf survival hunting methods, they will engage in killing sprees. I've had to deal with this many times over the years with "city-folk" moving to the country and releasing packs of dogs on the local environment/wildlife with devastating results. When they go after livestock, then the farmers get riled up. I have found torn apart foxes and possums from dogpacks and seen the dogs chasing deer from my hunting stands. A neighbor with a roving beagle wiped out the rabbits for three years by destroying the nests in the spring. Due to my experiences, I have little sympathy for the dog owners that allow unfettered roaming. (I've owned dogs too) A friend with sheep showed me his fenceposts with dozens of dog collars he collected from "varmint" shooting.

I also think they need to be kept on their property. I wish more people thought like that AND acted on it.
hmm.png

You'll need to research on the laws and regulations of your town, county and state, since they vary widely.

Your neighbor's attitude is quite common, and your best defense is a really good fence.

Quote:
Personally I DON'T CARE if its in the city or country. Dogs should be kept contained by their owners and in control. I have the "we're in the country" mentality next door to me. The horse training and boarding facility has that attitude and they have told me that "this is the way we do things". The clients of the barn always bring their dogs and the dogs are always allowed to roam around. Im just next door and don't appreciate being in the middle of a training session with a client (yes its happened in the past) and suddenly dealing with a strange dog posturing over my clients dog who is, of course, always on leash. Grrrrr makes me so mad.
rant.gif

People get pets and should understand and take responsibility for them just in a way you wouldn't allow your horse to just roam around or children for that matter. To me its just common sense.
idunno.gif

Quote:
I agree.
I would love to see a law that makes hunters responsibile for their dogs that they turn loose during hunting season and then don't worry about them when they don't all return; maybe tied into their hunting license privelages somehow. Each year at the end of hunting season we have a problem with hounds running loose.
The unwritten law around here is that if you see a dog running loose and it has a collar, you try to capture it and call the owner. If it isn't wearing a collar or if the owner has been warned doesn't take action, the dog is history. Livestock is a large part of the economy around here and too many cows and other livestock are injured trying to get away from stray dogs.

dogs are the responsibility of their owner, you cant be resposible for your dog if its wandering around the neighborhood...
theres nothing that buggs me more than irresponsible owners who think "well its the country i can let my dogs roam" *grr*

and unfortunatly its a common problem not only in the country, theres plenty of roaming dogs in our neighborhood...
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom