Dogs scared off a Coyote

We have a donkey and that jerk didnt make a peep when the coyotes were in the yard. I also have electric fence up around the patures now but they figured that out and came in from the front. The last time we had one in the barnyard was a couple months ago, i got a picture of it on one of my trail cameras. If they know there is food to be had at your place, they will keep coming back regardless if the field is plowed or not. Yes, you can deter them and be successful at that but, they will always be around and will always test fences just to see if you let your guard down. When it comes to coyotes, we always shoot if it is safe to do so, no one likes them out here one bit!

We have a donkey and that jerk didnt make a peep when the coyotes were in the yard. I also have electric fence up around the patures now but they figured that out and came in from the front. The last time we had one in the barnyard was a couple months ago, i got a picture of it on one of my trail cameras. If they know there is food to be had at your place, they will keep coming back regardless if the field is plowed or not. Yes, you can deter them and be successful at that but, they will always be around and will always test fences just to see if you let your guard down. When it comes to coyotes, we always shoot if it is safe to do so, no one likes them out here one bit!
Donkeys are jerks, I'm agreeing with you, shoot the trouble makers, it's the only sure way of dealing with them, a fort Knox of electric wire isn't reasonable.

You want your coop to be Fort Knox, or else you've got a problem. Well, unless you shoot every predator you see, which still won't prevent losses. If you prevent in the first place, you won't have to eliminate. Some people just don't understand that shooting is a temporary fix, I am not talking about anyone on this forum, just in my experience with other livestock owners. A new animal will take the old one's place and be just as bad if not worse. It will kill a chicken and you will be after it too. Next thing you know, your constantly shooting animals just trying to survive. It isn't practical in many situations. If I shot every predator that threatened my animals, I would be sitting outside with a gun all day. I prevent instead, so much easier and more reasonable. I use several security systems:

Dogs, flashing red lights, fencing, automatic night sprinklers, secure enclosures, and I keep a watchful eye on all my animals. I don't mean to flame, I'm sorry for the bit of a rant, it just irks me when people think shooting is the only way, and I am by no means saying any of you think this, so don't get upset or angry and report me. To the OP: good luck with your problem, hopefully the issue will be resolved. Also, if you decide to kill, I wouldn't trap. Try to shoot individuals, that way you kill as few as possible, only targeting the ones after your chickens instead of yotes or other animals that simply happen across your trap. Please keep us updated on whatever you choose and how everything goes. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hotwire is a good option for all animals.

I beg to differ, it's good for timid animals and almost useless against others... Electric fencing is simply not infallible, as said it requires maintenance and upkeep, and also as said some animals will charge right though it without a second thought, I have seen this first hand... One also has to consider the predator, some can easily clear jump a 4 foot fence, so you need to make a 6 feet tall electric fence, others will dig under, so you need wires at ground level, this requires no grass or vegetation in the area or it will short out... And then you need all the wires in between, while the wires also need proper spacing, what stops a coyote isn't going to necessary stop a fox for example...

I know some people swear by it, but I have seen it fail too many times to trust it myself...

On the subject I have two llamas that protect my goats and they do a grand job of it, they hate all k9s and just barely tollerate my own dogs on the other side of the fence...

And although my llamas respect full field fencing, electric alone will not contain them, the previous owner warned me straight up that they both had learned that they have enough fur to insulate them from being shocked by electric fences and they will just push, squeeze or bust through when they choose...

Meep beep, I should have worded it differently, you are correct, not all animals. I personally have a very good experience with it and have many friends and plenty of family members who feel the same. Many live in Texas and use the electric fencing to keep out pretty much anything. Usually, before a predator jumps a fence, they sniff around, they are curious and a new fence just popped up in front of their food source. They will get a zap and usually be one their way, but I can't say it is unfailing. Many people have different experiences, but I think it is worth a try for small scale chicken owners.

Some people just don't understand that shooting is a temporary fix, I am not talking about anyone on this forum, just in my experience with other livestock owners.

Nothing is a permanent fix, all preventative measures also require upkeep and will sometimes fail...

A new animal will take the old one's place and be just as bad if not worse.

I hear this all the time, but to be blunt, in my experience it can take months if not years before a new predator moves into the area and is comfortable enough to encroach or threaten my animals... In many cases they are not nearly 'as bad or worse' in fact I have found the new ones to be much more timid then the old one that had become comfortable with the area and showed little to no fear of me even in broad daylight...

Next thing you know, your constantly shooting animals just trying to survive. It isn't practical in many situations. If I shot every predator that threatened my animals, I would be sitting outside with a gun all day. I prevent instead, so much easier and more reasonable. I use several security systems:

Been shooting predators that get too comfortable and close my entire life and can't say I relate to it being anything near a full time or even part time job, only a few a year at most...

Hotwire is inexpensive and easy to set up, and it is nicer looking than electric fencing. You should probably try one of you want to get rid of your predator problems long term. Good luck!

"Hot wire" IS electric fencing! Just another name for it ...

Trapping is probably more trouble than it's worth, IMHO. Aid it possible for you to get a livestock guardian animal? Donkey, llama, alpaca, Great Pyrenees, etc., if you don't want to invest time and money into electric or Hotwire fencing. Good luck and keep us posted.

Buying more animals (and training them!) which will ALSO need fencing, besides "time and money" for upkeep ... Hardly seems practical to me ...

By the way an acre was a tad more than 100' X 400' when I had an acre of land ... That's over a 1000' of wire ...

-----------------------

I agree with MeepBeep ... I think of shooting predators sorta like this ... If a person was to break into my house and threaten my family, well then ... Bang!

I don't just go shoot everybody that walks by on the street ... Or even the people I see at the grocery store, but the next person who crosses the line, and breaks in, gets shot!

I've had wild animals get past my electric fencing ... The ones who learn to stay away, live, the ones who trespass die! The new ones, when/if they move into the neighborhood, may decide the grass is greener on their side, if not ... They are killed.

As I've said before ... Fence chargers only work if they have electricity going to them! A power outage will turn them off! They all have a service life ... They fail ... Lighting can knock them out, and of course grass can short them out, or even a fallen branch ...

To the OP ... I think once the field is harvested, that it will provide less cover for the coyotes to hide in while sneaking up to your place, easier to see them ...

When I lived in VT ... The coyotes would range in packs of 10 or more, sometimes close to 20! ... Out here in AZ usually it is just a pair at most, but sometimes with their juvenile's tagging along ... I'm not sure of what they do there ... Probably more similar to the NorthEast ... As out here there is a lot of ground covered to find wild food ... If you have large packs, make sure your own dogs do not follow a single one out after it, as it will probably result in an ambush!

The good news is deer hunting should be starting up soon ... Deer hunters are good at reducing the coyote population ...

More good news is that it was already once repealed from your property without a chicken or goat dinner ... Will it try again??? Maybe, but it now knows that it will probably have a few dogs, and maybe a grumpy human to deal with ...

------------------------------------------------------

LeafBlade,

Have you thought of what might happen to the poor predator if a "guard" animal interacts with it? What if the predator is killed? What if the "guard" animal is killed?

Try your best that is reasonable with your fencing. Ask your neighbors what they do to keep them at bay. And I keep a 30-30 loaded and close at all times. No kids in my house to worry about. Safety first. Trapping a yote isn't just easy, but will catch the ones that are coming up. If they are close enough to trap they are close enough to get a goat or chicken. The neighbors may know a hunter/trapper that'd love to come help.

Back
Top Bottom