Dog's teeth are chattering

schmije

Songster
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Peoria, IL
He's been doing this all morning. He's inside the house, so I know he's not cold. Otherwise he's acting normally - happy and running around. When he lays down he doesn't do it, but when I talk to him or pay attention to him, he gets excited and he starts chattering his teeth again. His tail is wagging the whole time, so it doesn't seem to bother him. Has anybody else experienced this? Any ideas of what's going on?

As a side note, I just started a new job in another city, so I've been away from home during the week for the last two weeks. My husband says he's been very clingy while I'm gone, and when I'm home he's clingy to me. Could he be stressed? Should I do something?

My dogs only chatter their teeth when they've been eating poop. Gross but true....check his mouth and see if maybe something is stuck in his teeth or in there.

Sorry I'm not much help!

My Dobie clacks her teeth when she wants something and I am too stupid to understand what it is!

big_smile.png

Rusty

He sure acted like he wanted something when he was doing it. I just assumed he wanted attention, but who knows. He hasn't done it in several hours now.

I am guessing he is very happy to see you again!

If you can, go into a sweat, I mean, smelly sweat and if you wear perfume, do wear that one too, on a sweatshirt that you don't mind having it damaged or used by your dog...that would give him the security having your smell in his bed or whereever he sleeps. It did work for my Mom's dog who misses her so bad, that she had an old tshirt that it has her BO and perfume on it. We took it on his pallet bed and he was very content. And he was not that clingy to us when she was gone for the week for work.

you dont have any intact females in the house do you? (or locally) ive seen this as excitment behaviour, especially in male dogs (even neutered) if theres a female in heat neer by.

otherwise check to see if theres something stuck, if not hes probably just very excited over somethign lol

Chattering teeth can be several things but anxiety if often the cause. Is anything new making him edgy and anxious? Perhaps he is worried you will leave again? Give him something fun to chew and play with him to relieve stress with exercise. Ewe Sheep's suggestion is a good one too as well as doing a good check of inside his mouth as Bagenhens recommended.

"Clacking" can be different depending on breed, it is common in Doberman's and Belgian Malinois when they are really happy and excited! Malinois are often called "maligators" for a good reason!
SEVeyesC08_th.gif

Quote:
Sounds to me like the chattering is an expression of nerves and excitement. Dogs often have muscles tensed in their jaws when excited or nervous. Its one of the more obvious things you can see in their expression when trying to read a dog. Many dogs "smile" for the same reason, its an excited/nervous mouth movement. Usually starts with a dog that has a lot of submissive behaviors and is very bonded to their owner.

A dog that licks a scent or smells another dog and drools while its teeth chatter is called "chatter-jaw" and its a way of garnering information via the Jacobsen's organ in the roof of the mouth. This organ goes directly to the brain and is the fastest and most accurate way for a dog to dicipher a scent. Male dogs will often do this with another dogs urine -- hoping the dog is female and in season!

Back
Top Bottom