Dogs took care of business...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by vclark321, Jul 31, 2011.

1. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    Greetings to all! I am fairly new to this chicken thing, but I did my research prior to getting started. I know of several predators in my area such as eagles, hawks, and raccoons. I have also seen a rat on the fence because of the wild bird seed. I do not put any type of feed in my chicken tractor to entice anyone and it closes completely for safety. The other night my dogs had a rat trapped under the dog house. 1 day later I came home to find what was left of said rat in the yard, a little fur and the bones of the hind leg.

I have a Neopolitan Mastiff and a Yorkshire Terrier and while I am home 3 silly chickens running around the yard. The dogs and chickens get along, but I am always alert for change. My Yorkie is on the job and at 11 years old still a force to be reckoned with. Crazy thing he is! When he was younger he attacked a reccoon on our front porch. I know it could have been very ugly as he is only 4 pounds. I don't know who was more shocked, me or the raccoon! I am glad this rat is gone!

2. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    A Mastiff and a Yorkie? [​IMG]

Dogs rock! I love how my dogs keep our yard free of unwanted critters. I was a little worried about the dogs and chicks at first too but now I don't have a problem leaving the chickens out when I'm gone because I know the dogs will "take care of business". Have fun and be careful because chickens are addictive. [​IMG]

3. busyteacher

busyteacher Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    A Yorkie taking on a raccoon is not something your normally hear of! We have a bird dog who will bring us the chickens if they get out. She is trained not to kill them but I think she definitely scares them when she picks them up.

4. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    That's just awesome!

5. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Quote:My mom's standard poodle brought her 3 dove chicks once. She had all three in her mouth at the same time. Don't know how she did it but there wasn't a scratch on them. I know poodles were originally supposed to be bird dogs but she's never had any training. We were impressed.

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Yeah...my friend's Yorkie took on a raccoon and lost an eye. [​IMG] It was hanging out of the socket by veins or nerves or something...whatever it was--it was nasty! [​IMG]

7. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

That's great your dogs took care of business.

I have 2 Mastiffs but besides there being a leash law here,they would kill my chickens so fast if they could get to them. I keep my Mastiffs in my back yard which is fenced. They have alerted me to a fox that was only about 50 ft. from the chickens and also last year I had one raccoon on my front deck eating cat food that I had a hard time shoeing away. Got back in the house and in minutes they alerted me to a young raccoon that was trying to open my chicken gate.

As I ran out the basement door I grabbed a shovel and took care of him. I may not be able to have them loose but they still serve me quiet well. [​IMG]

8. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you sometimes have to protect yorkies from themselves, they think they are big dogs. lol Big dog in a little package!

9. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    The night my Yorkie attacked the coon, we were just going outside for a potty break before bed. When I opened the door, he launched out the door and jumped on the coons back and stated going at him. I already had in my mind this was not going to end well. I yelled the dogs name and he jumped of and came and sat by my side. There was that awkward moment of shock for all of us and I reached down and grabbed my dog and ran in the house and the coon ran to a tree.

Little dog, giant attitude, lack of sense. I am so glad he isn't a pitbull! He is a good and loyal dog and my Mastiff is a female so there is no Alpha dog challenge. I will just wait, I know where there is one rat there are more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by