Dogs took care of business...

vclark321

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
Bonney Lake
Greetings to all! I am fairly new to this chicken thing, but I did my research prior to getting started. I know of several predators in my area such as eagles, hawks, and raccoons. I have also seen a rat on the fence because of the wild bird seed. I do not put any type of feed in my chicken tractor to entice anyone and it closes completely for safety. The other night my dogs had a rat trapped under the dog house. 1 day later I came home to find what was left of said rat in the yard, a little fur and the bones of the hind leg.

I have a Neopolitan Mastiff and a Yorkshire Terrier and while I am home 3 silly chickens running around the yard. The dogs and chickens get along, but I am always alert for change. My Yorkie is on the job and at 11 years old still a force to be reckoned with. Crazy thing he is! When he was younger he attacked a reccoon on our front porch. I know it could have been very ugly as he is only 4 pounds. I don't know who was more shocked, me or the raccoon! I am glad this rat is gone!

A Mastiff and a Yorkie?
lau.gif

Dogs rock! I love how my dogs keep our yard free of unwanted critters. I was a little worried about the dogs and chicks at first too but now I don't have a problem leaving the chickens out when I'm gone because I know the dogs will "take care of business". Have fun and be careful because chickens are addictive.
wink.png

A Yorkie taking on a raccoon is not something your normally hear of! We have a bird dog who will bring us the chickens if they get out. She is trained not to kill them but I think she definitely scares them when she picks them up.

Quote:
My mom's standard poodle brought her 3 dove chicks once. She had all three in her mouth at the same time. Don't know how she did it but there wasn't a scratch on them. I know poodles were originally supposed to be bird dogs but she's never had any training. We were impressed.

That's great your dogs took care of business.

I have 2 Mastiffs but besides there being a leash law here,they would kill my chickens so fast if they could get to them. I keep my Mastiffs in my back yard which is fenced. They have alerted me to a fox that was only about 50 ft. from the chickens and also last year I had one raccoon on my front deck eating cat food that I had a hard time shoeing away. Got back in the house and in minutes they alerted me to a young raccoon that was trying to open my chicken gate.

As I ran out the basement door I grabbed a shovel and took care of him. I may not be able to have them loose but they still serve me quiet well.
clap.gif

The night my Yorkie attacked the coon, we were just going outside for a potty break before bed. When I opened the door, he launched out the door and jumped on the coons back and stated going at him. I already had in my mind this was not going to end well. I yelled the dogs name and he jumped of and came and sat by my side. There was that awkward moment of shock for all of us and I reached down and grabbed my dog and ran in the house and the coon ran to a tree.

Little dog, giant attitude, lack of sense. I am so glad he isn't a pitbull! He is a good and loyal dog and my Mastiff is a female so there is no Alpha dog challenge. I will just wait, I know where there is one rat there are more.

Back
Top Bottom