Dogs vs Ducks

We just received a husky. She is 11 weeks old. I’ve only had her around the enclosure twice but she needs more training and was mostly running wild in the garden (oops kind of). Slowing down with her seemed to help but her attention span right now is LOL May I ask if you have any tips?
I would start right away teaching her a good solid leave it command. This can then be applied not just to your ducks but also anything else you don't want her to get into. Huskies usually have a high prey drive and are often not as malleable as some other breeds, so I would work with her every day until she has it completely down pat. It takes some time, it could even be a year or two before she'll be trustworthy around your birds. Good luck!

I would start right away teaching her a good solid leave it command. This can then be applied not just to your ducks but also anything else you don't want her to get into.

Every dog should know "leave it". You can find how to teach it in books or on YouTube.com. Use a food reward, use praise. Do it before a duck goes missing.

I would start right away teaching her a good solid leave it command. This can then be applied not just to your ducks but also anything else you don't want her to get into. Huskies usually have a high prey drive and are often not as malleable as some other breeds, so I would work with her every day until she has it completely down pat. It takes some time, it could even be a year or two before she'll be trustworthy around your birds. Good luck!
Thank you for the realistic time frame. She and our other dog (an Airedale terrier) have been playing stealy games with toys and he has some minor food guarding issues that I don’t want her to pick up on. The leave it command is crucial. I’ve noticed the malleability already! She’s got “sit” down like it’s second nature but the concept of ”lay down” and ringing a bell to go outside still elude her. I’m down for the work. Thank you. We’re looking at getting some swans , which would make me feel a little more comfortable in regards to the safety of our ducks.

I would start right away teaching her a good solid leave it command. This can then be applied not just to your ducks but also anything else you don't want her to get into.

Every dog should know "leave it". You can find how to teach it in books or on YouTube.com. Use a food reward, use praise. Do it before a duck goes missing.
Thank you! I want to let her race so “leave it” is going to be crucial. Can’t run to your hearts content if you’re distracted.

Back
Top Bottom