Dogs...

We’ve given them our terms and a day to decide if they’ll agree to them. If the dogs do come back they understand that we will be shooting them. Now we’re just working to protect the chickens we have left. I’ve moved the chick pen into the main pen so it’s more protected, and we’ll be working to reinforce everything as soon as we have the materials. We’ll probably be setting up the game cameras too if we have any that aren’t in the woods already. I’m looking into getting more chicks too so we don’t have to wait until spring. I’ve already contacted the breeder we got the ameraucana rooster from to see about getting more.

My only suggestion is if you have to shoot a dog make sure it's a good enough shot to drop it in it's tracks. You wound it and it runs home they will most likely hang you out to dry and all the nut case animal right organizations will side with them. Should have called the cops and had a report made before you ever touched anything. Made them come out and document all the damages so it was on record. Now it's just your word against theirs. Since they seem to have been there longer and a local business owner it's not gonna be in your favor.

Once it's shot bury it and don't tell anybody.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry this happened. :hugs

You have been given some very good advice here. I hope everything will be sorted.

Just a word of warning, be careful that they don't retaliate in some crazy way. I had a neighbor once who had bengal cats. They kept coming over to my property, killing animals left and right. I once found a dead chicken (not mine, thankfully) on my lawn that I'm sure one of the cats killed and dragged to my house. I was very worried for my own chickens.
I kept going over to their house, asking them to keep their cats on their property. They didn't listen. Finally, one day, one of the cats caught a baby bunny and partially ripped its head off. The bunny was still alive, so I brought it inside, but it died in my arms.
I took the dead rabbit over to their house and showed it to them. They said they would get shock collars for their cats, which they did. But, not long after we started getting threats from them. Only after we threatened to sue did the threats stop.

I really hope something like this doesn't happen to you too. If it does though, make sure you document EVERYTHING.

They’ll understand if we shoot the dogs. They said they would do the same thing to defend their property, and we informed them of the law. We’re giving them until tomorrow to decide if they agree to our terms, in which case they will be signing a contract, or if they would like to go to court. Hopefully by tomorrow this is settled.

Thank you everybody for your advice and support. I really appreciate it.

My thoughts, if you shoot there dog in the process of killing your flock and report it to the police, be prepared for the fallout. Yes, perfectly legal, but the majority of the population will not see it that way. Social media will spread the story nation wide in a day. And spin it to make you a ruthless killer. Even though you say your in the middle of know where, it's more than possible you could be targeted.

S.S.S.

Hopefully this will be resolved. I can't add anything that hasn't already been said and hopefully hitting them in the pocketbook, maybe they will get the message. There is another recent thread by a byc member that recently went through the same thing and she recovered the damages and then some. I know it won't make up for your losses but hopefully it will teach the dog owners a valuable lesson. Good luck...

Some states have rules about shooting a loose dog doing livestock damage. The only person here in Michigan allowed that process is a sheriff deputy/DNR officer.
You can go to jail or pay a fine or both if you take that action.
Know the laws first then proceed accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom