Dogs...

Over exadurated he wasn't beat my 60-70 year old neighbor hit him once or twice while he was still chasing them, dog dident have and bite marks, broken bones, or internal damage, unlike my chickens, the beating is probably why he dident come back the next time, I just found it funny that he could kill and maim my chickens but when faced with someone his own size he submisses with little fighting, my dog disowned him and he sat down while my dog barked then he walked around towards the chicken run to go around my dog to get home I hit him with the leash clasp so he knew not to go by the run again. None of the dog bites went through his skin, my dog just kind of takled him and they through heads. Not a fight that was my dog submissing him just like in the wild. Getting in a beating is better than getting shot.

Oh, okay. I thought you meant like a literal, long and violent beating

Idk how I forgot but I have been offering her grower feed alongside layer feed the last couple of days. When she was staying in the coop all day I put a dish of both in with her. I can’t really go out and buy anything else atm, the nearest feed store is like 75 miles. We don’t have tractor supply here either, it’s all D&B
Ok it's fine it's not necessary the protein will just help her heal faster and feathers grow back faster, as long as she is stable she doesn't necessarily need it it will just help her heal a little bit faster. I hope this pans out well for you!

Yep I believe everything you said, doesn't help that then never walk them, they shouldn't own high energy dogs that they can't contain. The first attack it ran through the invisible electric fence because they thought one week of training would be enough. The second time their 2 year old let it off their deck. If it was the same dog the second time it would have been shot, but it wasn't so I dident know who owned it till she ran over. Kind of wish they had gotten rid of the original attacker because my mom and sister wouldn't let me beat it. Second time the lady let it out to take it home and it got away from her and was in the woods for an hour, our house was in between the woods and the owners home so running back through are yard was the easiest rout back, we let our dog loose on it who is a husky collie mutt beat the living **** out of it while I hit it with a leash clasp, he ran back home sore with his tail between his legs. That's why he dident come back into the yard the second time he got loose. After 20 seconds of fighting our dog he submitted, he can kill chickens but couldn't stand his ground or fight at all, what a joke. Don't mean to hijack OP just needed to vent my rage:mad: lol.
Oh no problem. I will never choose to own one again. They are beautiful dogs but they only belong - in my opinion - in the artic type areas temperature wise that get very cold and burn much energy working and using their bodies in exercises and thinking while working, hunting, or protecting. That is where they are meant to be and at their happiest. They have no business in the Southern states such as Mississippi with a women no matter how dog living, dog smart, strong or athletic she is. The truth hurts sometimes but you have to face it for what is best for the animals. Chickens for sure in my book ... I am a first timer as to flock ownership this year and have grown to love them so fast. I love all animals. Dogs all my life. Horses were next. Cows probably next then I always wanted to own my own flock and it took me 51 years of all things because I worked too much which made me sick and then disabled me. My husband knew I wanted and needed the chickens for healing I believe. I also lost both parents last year six months apart. Hard on an only child even when one is grown. The chicks have been great for grief let me tell ya. I will always appreciate and remember my first flock no doubt. I am very protective of my animals. I own two dogs myself. One is my bodyguard an 11 year old miniature Schnauzer who knows not to harm them and they are not fearful of her. Then we also have my daughter’s dog an 18 month old Shichon who is a shitzu Bichon Frisée cross called a teddy bear puppy who I don’t trust as far as I can throw her in a bucket of grain down a railroad track. They don’t either and get on guard when she is around. I don’t let her run them either in their coop or run. They will peck the crap out of her too if she gets too close to their run enclosure also. They did that when their brooder pen was setup in the house too. They got familiar with the puppies inside the house and vice versa because I knew I had to break my dog for sure on not harming them because she follows me everywhere and is usually harmless and a real protector of me and if I fall out in the yard or something she will go back to the house and alert the rest of the family and if I needed her I needed to also know she wouldn’t harm the chicks if she had to come in the coop to me. I have gone on and on but some dogs are good with chickens and can really be trusted like mine and it’s the way you teach them. Some it’s just the breed they are and they cannot help it like the huskies or Malamutes. Either way it is always the owners irresponsibility or mistake yet fault if their dog damages, destroys, or kills another persons or neighbors property-precious chickens. Not the dogs.

Oh no problem. I will never choose to own one again. They are beautiful dogs but they only belong - in my opinion - in the artic type areas temperature wise that get very cold and burn much energy working and using their bodies in exercises and thinking while working, hunting, or protecting. That is where they are meant to be and at their happiest. They have no business in the Southern states such as Mississippi with a women no matter how dog living, dog smart, strong or athletic she is. The truth hurts sometimes but you have to face it for what is best for the animals. Chickens for sure in my book ... I am a first timer as to flock ownership this year and have grown to love them so fast. I love all animals. Dogs all my life. Horses were next. Cows probably next then I always wanted to own my own flock and it took me 51 years of all things because I worked too much which made me sick and then disabled me. My husband knew I wanted and needed the chickens for healing I believe. I also lost both parents last year six months apart. Hard on an only child even when one is grown. The chicks have been great for grief let me tell ya. I will always appreciate and remember my first flock no doubt. I am very protective of my animals. I own two dogs myself. One is my bodyguard an 11 year old miniature Schnauzer who knows not to harm them and they are not fearful of her. Then we also have my daughter’s dog an 18 month old Shichon who is a shitzu Bichon Frisée cross called a teddy bear puppy who I don’t trust as far as I can throw her in a bucket of grain down a railroad track. They don’t either and get on guard when she is around. I don’t let her run them either in their coop or run. They will peck the crap out of her too if she gets too close to their run enclosure also. They did that when their brooder pen was setup in the house too. They got familiar with the puppies inside the house and vice versa because I knew I had to break my dog for sure on not harming them because she follows me everywhere and is usually harmless and a real protector of me and if I fall out in the yard or something she will go back to the house and alert the rest of the family and if I needed her I needed to also know she wouldn’t harm the chicks if she had to come in the coop to me. I have gone on and on but some dogs are good with chickens and can really be trusted like mine and it’s the way you teach them. Some it’s just the breed they are and they cannot help it like the huskies or Malamutes. Either way it is always the owners irresponsibility or mistake yet fault if their dog damages, destroys, or kills another persons or neighbors property-precious chickens. Not the dogs.
Yes I 100% blame the owners, they could have done so much more, you don't leave a large dog outside while your not outside with it, unless you have a physical barrier. And it dident help at all that the second dog was a "$3,500 winning sled dog" I don't know what he meant by that but he said they were fostering it for a friend that moved from Alaska to Chicago. That's why I don't know what he meant what's $3,500 sled dog doing in Iowa its should still be pulling sleds. No doubt the second one would have killed half if not more of my flock if he wasn't stopped in the first 1-2 minutes, the first one was done after 3 birds and wanted to get out after being in their for 10 minutes. Apparently they are moving soon so hopefully we have no more dog problems.You seem like a responsible owner thank you for that and your insight. Sorry OP had to get this off my head I'm done now.

Yes I 100% blame the owners, they could have done so much more, you don't leave a large dog outside while your not outside with it, unless you have a physical barrier. And it dident help at all that the second dog was a "$3,500 winning sled dog" I don't know what he meant by that but he said they were fostering it for a friend that moved from Alaska to Chicago. That's why I don't know what he meant what's $3,500 sled dog doing in Iowa its should still be pulling sleds. No doubt the second one would have killed half if not more of my flock if he wasn't stopped in the first 1-2 minutes, the first one was done after 3 birds and wanted to get out after being in their for 10 minutes. Apparently they are moving soon so hopefully we have no more dog problems.You seem like a responsible owner thank you for that and your insight. Sorry OP had to get this off my head I'm done now.
I hope you don’t ever have any more dog problems. Thank you also. You have had enough for life.

The injured hen is doing a lot better today. She still has a lot of healing to do, but she had more energy today and was out with the others most of the day and is eating and drinking normally again. I can tell she’s not a fan of having her wounds sprayed so she gets extra mealworms for being good about it.
It sounds like your taking good care of your gal.
My only advice is to spray Blu-kote on her wounds to keep others from being attracted to the "red" color of her wounds. Keep the flys and nats off of her and don't let her take a dust bath.
Our gals are tough girls, they just can't defend themselves.
I'm sorry you had to experience this event. Hope all works out for you in the end.
Keep us posted and Good Luck.

It sounds like your taking good care of your gal.
My only advice is to spray Blu-kote on her wounds to keep others from being attracted to the "red" color of her wounds. Keep the flys and nats off of her and don't let her take a dust bath.
Our gals are tough girls, they just can't defend themselves.
I'm sorry you had to experience this event. Hope all works out for you in the end.
Keep us posted and Good Luck.
That’s very good advice. I would add to it by saying that in addition to the Blu-Kote that there is a spray out there for hot spots on poultry or any animal it is safe to use for wounds that have been exacerbated by pecking or biting or licking, flies etc. it is called Vetericyn Hot Spot spray and they also have antimicrobial spray also for cleaning wounds safe for poultry also. These work well. I used them on some blood feathers the other day. I had some pulling out doing some excessive preening on new feathers and it worked great.

Vetericyn is what I’ve been using. I’ll look into Blu-Kote and see if I can get some quickly on amazon. I’ve been cleaning her wounds daily, and I’ve been trying to figure out how to bandage it but it’s in a difficult spot.

Vetericyn is what I’ve been using. I’ll look into Blu-Kote and see if I can get some quickly on amazon. I’ve been cleaning her wounds daily, and I’ve been trying to figure out how to bandage it but it’s in a difficult spot.
You don't need to clean it everyday unless they have dirt in them. Don't find yourself being too excessive with cleaning.
No need for bandages either.
Keep a Triple Antibiotic on them.
Shes a tough gal thats For Sure!!!

Back
Top Bottom