Dogs...

Thank you, me too. I’m really hoping at least some of the missing birds found somewhere to hide and will come back in the morning. There’s feathers everywhere, but I didn’t see any from the missing rooster or some of the missing hens. I can’t imagine the rooster would have run away instead of fighting though.

I'm sure they will come home. The survivors are probably so terrified it might take them a while to feel safe enough to come out of hiding.

One of my hens got stuck under my coop after being scared by an owl. I had no idea she was under there. After 2 days I saw her trying to get out from under it. I had to dig away some of the soil in order for her to get out again! They will squeeze into tight spaces to escape! I hope you can find them.

Ugh they even got into the coop. I’m just relieved that they weren’t able to get into the brooder, though they pulled the top off of it. I think they must have chased some chickens out because usually they’re in bed by 7:30, the pullets by 8. My older bantam rooster is always the first to bed, and luckily he’s ok. I think he would have been too scaredy to fight and that may have saved his life. My most affectionate hen made it out ok too, she usually goes to bed with the bantam roo.
I feel like I’m rambling a little bit but I'm still feeling pretty shaken.

I would imagine they would be hiding somewhere in the trees or something. We have a lot of forest around us, and a stream with thick bushes growing around it. We searched some of that area but it’s so dense we could barely get through. A couple that did come back tonight came out of that area once the dogs were gone.

Here you go. To find out how to report it in your county, search "(name of county) dog kill livestock" and you should find some guidance. In my county there's a dog incident form to be filled out.

As for Oregon-wide laws, this is what you're entitled to. The page lists other applicable laws.

https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/609.140

It says:

(1) The owner of any livestock which has been damaged by being injured, chased, wounded or killed by any dog shall have a cause of action against the owner of such dog for the damages resulting therefrom, including double the value of any livestock killed and double the amount of any damage to the livestock.
(2) If one or more of several dogs owned by different persons participate in damaging any livestock, the owners of the respective dogs shall be jointly and severally liable under this section. The owners of dogs jointly or severally liable under this section have a right of contribution among themselves. The right exists only in favor of an owner who has paid more than the pro rata share of the owner, determined by dividing the total damage by the number of dogs involved, of the common liability, and the total recovery of the owner is limited to the amount paid by the owner in excess of the pro rata share of the owner.
(3) An action brought under this section may be tried as an action at law in any court of competent jurisdiction.
(4) As used in this section:
(a) “Owner” means the head of the family of the home where the dog is cared for at the time of the damage.
(b) “Head of the family” means any person who has charge or manages the affairs of a collective body of persons residing together, the relations between whom are of a permanent and domestic character. [Amended by 1973 c.655 §7; 1975 c.749 §1]

Thank you, me too. I’m really hoping at least some of the missing birds found somewhere to hide and will come back in the morning. There’s feathers everywhere, but I didn’t see any from the missing rooster or some of the missing hens. I can’t imagine the rooster would have run away instead of fighting though.

Hopefully your rooster led the missing hens to a safer place.

Thank you. I have already been looking at state laws and I was aware of them anyways. I’ll look into the local laws next.

The county by county procedures do vary on who responds and how to report it. Some mention impounding the dogs and checking their feces for evidence of the attack and so on, which is obviously time sensitive in the absence of video evidence.

Back
Top Bottom