Dogs...

We were away from home for about 2 hours this evening, and returned to find 2 hunting dogs in our driveway and 7 dead chickens. 5 more are still missing, we searched for an hour before it got dark, and another is injured pretty badly but still alive. I’m not sure if she’ll make it or not. That leaves us with 3 hens, 3 pullets, and a rooster that all appear ok, and the 10 chicks in the brooder that they didn’t manage to get into.
We know who’s dogs it was. They’re our neighbors a little over a mile away, and the owners of the store in our small town. We confronted them tonight, and they laughed us off. They don’t understand that these chickens are basically our pets. We love them. We’re devastated.
Does anybody have any experience dealing with something like this? What can we do?
We’re already taking measures to keep the rest of our chickens safe. They have a secure pen that they will not be leaving for the time being, though they’re normally free rangers. If we see those dogs on our property again they won’t be going home.
I've read through the thread. I'd attempt to go back to court to settle for more (maybe with a lawyer even though they are extortionate). Any SENSIBLE judge would've listened to you and reimbursed you a lot more. Also previously double the worth was mentioned. Dig up any records of buying these. Find the price of a free range egg, factor these in. It WILL add up to a lot. Finally, if you decide to, you could certainly sue for multiple things, emotional trauma, damages, and I'm sure there is more. Finally, try getting a goose or guard dog of your own. Install electric wiring. Also, if the dogs come by again, you can shoot them legally I think. Threat to livestock, tresspassing... If you prefer the nicer option I'd get some pepper spray. I hope all goes well!

Another thing, if it is a small community, if there are other poultry owners or friends get them on your side. They can help in court if they try to argue IDK chickens aren't pets. Witnesses I guess. I'm just so angry right now for lack of a better word. These people are the type you want to just get angry at lol ARGH! I feel really sorry for you and I hope your chooks recover. Luckily my neighbour's dogs are well behaved, and they have hens too...

We were away from home for about 2 hours this evening, and returned to find 2 hunting dogs in our driveway and 7 dead chickens. 5 more are still missing, we searched for an hour before it got dark, and another is injured pretty badly but still alive. I’m not sure if she’ll make it or not. That leaves us with 3 hens, 3 pullets, and a rooster that all appear ok, and the 10 chicks in the brooder that they didn’t manage to get into.
We know who’s dogs it was. They’re our neighbors a little over a mile away, and the owners of the store in our small town. We confronted them tonight, and they laughed us off. They don’t understand that these chickens are basically our pets. We love them. We’re devastated.
Does anybody have any experience dealing with something like this? What can we do?
We’re already taking measures to keep the rest of our chickens safe. They have a secure pen that they will not be leaving for the time being, though they’re normally free rangers. If we see those dogs on our property again they won’t be going home.

First of all, I am SO sorry you're experiencing this.
Second, I've been on both side of this. I'm sad to admit that before (years before) I ever had a thought about chickens much less owning them, I had a dog that killed our neighbor's flock. I'm ashamed to admit I had little compassion and didn't understand their attachment to their chickens. I figured I'd replace them, no harm, no foul. *Please don't hate me, this was years ago and I've changed a lot.

With that out the way, I'm not a chicken mama and I own dogs. Luckily, nice dogs who get along well with the chickens. My point is, I'm a dog lover too.
Given you approached your neighbor and they laughed you off - that was their chance. Did they offer to replace your birds or offer to secure their dogs or offer anything solution at all or did they just find your loss a hilarious joke?
Personally, if those dogs came on my property again; they wouldn't be leaving. When I had a chicken killer dog I accepted that could be an outcome at some point.
Also, not sure if you have any other animals but a Livestock Guardian Dog will keep your flock safe. Mine does, he watches over them closely. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Attachments

• 95759507_10157409854311275_8372789888851902464_n.jpg
    95759507_10157409854311275_8372789888851902464_n.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 6
I've read through the thread. I'd attempt to go back to court to settle for more (maybe with a lawyer even though they are extortionate). Any SENSIBLE judge would've listened to you and reimbursed you a lot more. Also previously double the worth was mentioned. Dig up any records of buying these. Find the price of a free range egg, factor these in. It WILL add up to a lot. Finally, if you decide to, you could certainly sue for multiple things, emotional trauma, damages, and I'm sure there is more. Finally, try getting a goose or guard dog of your own. Install electric wiring. Also, if the dogs come by again, you can shoot them legally I think. Threat to livestock, tresspassing... If you prefer the nicer option I'd get some pepper spray. I hope all goes well!
The double was factored in, so it ended up being $20 per bird, besides the one I had actually paid more for. I had done all the math on how many eggs we were losing out on and how much that cost, and I had it all in front of me, but I didn’t have much chance to explain it because the judge said that that was what the double of the value was supposed to cover. I ended up with well over $100 per chicken in egg costs. It is legal to shoot a dog that’s a threat to your livestock here, and that’s what we plan to do if they ever come back. Honestly, that was my first time ever in a courtroom, especially representing myself, and I’m not a very confrontational person. By the time we got to the value it had gotten very heated on the opposing side and I was getting nervous, so words weren’t all coming out like they should. I wish I had done better, but it’s not going to be worth it to try to go back.

First of all, I am SO sorry you're experiencing this.
Second, I've been on both side of this. I'm sad to admit that before (years before) I ever had a thought about chickens much less owning them, I had a dog that killed our neighbor's flock. I'm ashamed to admit I had little compassion and didn't understand their attachment to their chickens. I figured I'd replace them, no harm, no foul. *Please don't hate me, this was years ago and I've changed a lot.

With that out the way, I'm not a chicken mama and I own dogs. Luckily, nice dogs who get along well with the chickens. My point is, I'm a dog lover too.
Given you approached your neighbor and they laughed you off - that was their chance. Did they offer to replace your birds or offer to secure their dogs or offer anything solution at all or did they just find your loss a hilarious joke?
Personally, if those dogs came on my property again; they wouldn't be leaving. When I had a chicken killer dog I accepted that could be an outcome at some point.
Also, not sure if you have any other animals but a Livestock Guardian Dog will keep your flock safe. Mine does, he watches over them closely. You gotta do what you gotta do.
The wife came over the next day and asked if we wanted to order new chicks. We told her we needed to decide what we wanted to do, but that this cost a lot more than just a few chicks. We gave her a settlement offer, never heard back. Gave her a new offer, never heard back. That’s when we decided to take it to small claims. Chickens are our only livestock at the moment, and a livestock guardian animal, while it would be great to have, is something we just can’t afford.

The wife came over the next day and asked if we wanted to order new chicks. We told her we needed to decide what we wanted to do, but that this cost a lot more than just a few chicks. We gave her a settlement offer, never heard back. Gave her a new offer, never heard back. That’s when we decided to take it to small claims. Chickens are our only livestock at the moment, and a livestock guardian animal, while it would be great to have, is something we just can’t afford.

Yeah, pretty crappy people to not even try and settle it with you like a good neighbor would. I'm sorry.

The double was factored in, so it ended up being $20 per bird, besides the one I had actually paid more for. I had done all the math on how many eggs we were losing out on and how much that cost, and I had it all in front of me, but I didn’t have much chance to explain it because the judge said that that was what the double of the value was supposed to cover. I ended up with well over $100 per chicken in egg costs. It is legal to shoot a dog that’s a threat to your livestock here, and that’s what we plan to do if they ever come back. Honestly, that was my first time ever in a courtroom, especially representing myself, and I’m not a very confrontational person. By the time we got to the value it had gotten very heated on the opposing side and I was getting nervous, so words weren’t all coming out like they should. I wish I had done better, but it’s not going to be worth it to try to go back.
I'm really sorry about this :( I can't say that I'm confrontational, but if someone was that irresponsible there'd be hell to pay.
I hope your flock re-building goes well, and if it does happen again I hope it goes better and the judge listens :| Let us know how the flock delvelops! My heart is with you

Back
Top Bottom