dogs

un-named

Songster
9 Years
Sep 15, 2010
how many of you own dogs here...think you are dog owners yet can't control your darn dogs without screaming at them, a leash or a shock collar?
It's just my opinion, but if you can't stop your dog from running into someone's yard and killing their livestock (NOT the dog's fault here!!) then you shouldn't own a dog and shouldn't be calling yourself a dog owner, at least not a capable one!!!
How many have visitors over just to see 'Precious' jumping all over them? trust me, FEW visitors like this.
why can't dog owners learn respect for other people and their livestock?
Visitor stopped over, let his dog run and he ran into the barn into the next lot (200 + feet away) and killed my favorite little bantam. yeah yeah, "I'm sorry, I'll replace it..." yeah, right.
worthless dog owners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyone can own a dog....FEW can handle one.
Which one are you, HONESTLY?
done ranting

Do you have a dog? I agree with some of what you say, I don't agree with the tone. You are surely generalizing all dog owners because You have apparently developed a fear of dogs. You have never met my dogs. They would certainly not jump on you and they don't even know what a leash is. They are hunters and they ride in the front seat of truck. They show no sign of acting the way You say "all dogs behave" yet you lump them into a general group as being disobedient...I think you may be the problem....I live by this " if one of my dogs is suspicious of a person, I am Too"...Doubt they would like you.

()relics :

Do you have a dog? I agree with some of what you say, I don't agree with the tone. You are surely generalizing all dog owners because You have apparently developed a fear of dogs. You have never met my dogs. They would certainly not jump on you and they don't even know what a leash is. They are hunters and they ride in the front seat of truck. They show no sign of acting the way You say "all dogs behave" yet you lump them into a general group as being disobedient...I think you may be the problem....I live by this " if one of my dogs is suspicious of a person, I am Too"...Doubt they would like you.

Ditto!​

Quote:
well now, tell us how you really feel! I totally get you are a bit beyond ticked off about what happened, but that's a pretty broad stroke you just brushed us all with.

I would NEVER let my dog run around somebody else's property that I am visiting without their consent. And with consent, they wouldn't be out of my line of sight. I know how MY dogs are with MY ducks. Doesn't mean I trust them not to eat somebody else's ducks if they had the chance.

Yes, I could handle all 3 of my dogs and now just 2 of them.

Signed - one worthless dog owner.

I own one dog: A GSD who is not trusted with any livestock and is perfectly happy living in his yard. He's not a house dog-the reason I got him-he was destined for a shelter because he did not like being in a house. Come to find out he has a vision issue and does not like floors. Took me two years to get him to walk on black asphalt. He is not allowed to free range with out supervision. I do agree with some of the things you said and do get frustrated with owners who cannot control their pets. I politely ask all visitors to leash their dogs or risk death by horse. If they don't comply they are asked politely to leave and I always help carry the pet to the car in case of forewarned attack by horse.

I own, breed, show, raise and train dogs ... field, obedience, performance & show.... so i guess my dogs do not fall into your rant. I am a second generation handler and the mother of the third successful generation. You can walk on my property without being "greeted with 4 feet" ... although I prefer that to being greeted with teeth! My dogs approach, ask for attention, and handle it from the position they should. My dogs can run the property with me without leaving the property while I am working in the gardens. I would not trust a sporting or hound dog, no matter how well trained, to run with my poultry or rabbits ... instinct is stronger than training in some aspects of life. We do need to be smarter than the dog. And my favorite motto is ... and always will be ...

TRAIN DON'T COMPLAIN!

Quote:
Way to jump into BYC... feet first?

Firstly I will say welcome
Secondly... please don't generalize, particulrly don't do a generalize rant... its offensive.

I have 4 dogs... all of whom are mostly well behaved, all of whom stay on my property, 3 of whom are rescue dogs.

Three run the property at will, my pastures are fenced. One generally stays on a rope because he is a new rescue dog who was desperately abused and starved and hasn't learned manners or his place in the pack... Yet.

Signed" Worthless Dog Owner # 2

()relics :

thumbsup.gif

I live by another rule, too. My dogs live here, you don't. If you don't like dogs, don't visit.
I want to hang a sign on my front door that says "Pets welcome. Children must be leashed." but DH is afraid his daughter (& GS) would be offended.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom